none
old DHCP servers appear in Sites&Services NetServices RRS feed

• Question

• I am planning a move from my single win2008 r2 DHCP server to failover Win2012r2 servers.

In Sites & Services - Services - Netservices, I see all past DHCP servers that we ever had, including the current one.I

I ran netsh DHCP show server & 3 of the servers on the Netservices list appeared, including the current one.

I added the 2 old servers to my DHCP console.  One of them has a red X & the other thinks it's still an authorized server, but has no scopes.

Should I unauthorize the server with no scopes & delete the other server from Netservices?

Can I just delete all the Netservices entries except the real one & DHCPRoot?

Thanks

Thursday, October 20, 2016 6:21 PM

Answers

• Hi

You should delete (also mean unauthorize with netsh) this old/nonfunctional dhcp servers,first delete with netsh command,also check from net service still see there also delete with adsiedit.

https://robiulislam.wordpress.com/2012/11/14/orphaned-dhcp-server-issue/

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

• Marked as answer by meetoo2 Friday, October 28, 2016 5:34 PM
    Thursday, October 20, 2016 7:40 PM
  • I would un-authorize the DHCP server first, allow for AD replication to complete (or you can force it with a "repadmin /syncall"), and then delete the DHCP server's object in AD Sites & Services.   If you get an error message when un-authorizing or deleting in AD Sites & Services you can try Burak's suggestion.

Best Regards, Todd Heron | Active Directory Consultant

• Marked as answer by meetoo2 Friday, October 28, 2016 5:33 PM
    Thursday, October 20, 2016 8:17 PM

All replies

• Hi

You can delete the old/unauthorize dhcp servers from domain,use this command;

Netsh DHCP delete server ServerFQDN ServerIP address

Can I just delete all the Netservices entries except the real one & DHCPRoot?>>> when delete other unauthorize dhcp just configure dhcp root withadsiedit.Check the article to perform;

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/networking/2009/02/27/old-dhcp-servers-appear-in-the-list-of-authorized-servers-after-a-domain-rename/

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

• Proposed as answer by John Lii Tuesday, October 25, 2016 6:53 AM
    Thursday, October 20, 2016 6:46 PM
  • One of the old servers has 'Unauthorize' as an option, should I unauthorize it before I delete it? Thx
    Thursday, October 20, 2016 7:26 PM
  • Hi

You should delete (also mean unauthorize with netsh) this old/nonfunctional dhcp servers,first delete with netsh command,also check from net service still see there also delete with adsiedit.

https://robiulislam.wordpress.com/2012/11/14/orphaned-dhcp-server-issue/

• Marked as answer by meetoo2 Friday, October 28, 2016 5:34 PM
    Thursday, October 20, 2016 7:40 PM
  • I would un-authorize the DHCP server first, allow for AD replication to complete (or you can force it with a "repadmin /syncall"), and then delete the DHCP server's object in AD Sites & Services.   If you get an error message when un-authorizing or deleting in AD Sites & Services you can try Burak's suggestion.

Best Regards, Todd Heron | Active Directory Consultant

• Marked as answer by meetoo2 Friday, October 28, 2016 5:33 PM
    Thursday, October 20, 2016 8:17 PM
  • Hi Meetoo,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 6:53 AM
  • I unauthorized the 1 server via the DHCP mmc & it automatically removed itself from AD Sites & Services

The other 2, I manually deleted from AD Sites & Services

I ran 'netsh dhcp show server' and now only the 1 live server appears.

Thanks for the assistance.

Friday, October 28, 2016 5:36 PM
  • Hi Meetoo,

I am glad to hear that your issue was successfully resolved.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 31, 2016 8:17 AM