local autodiscover xml with <domain> in login RRS feed

• Question

• Windows XP
    Office 2007
    I am trying to set up a local autodiscover xml for the users in my company.
    Our email is not on our own exchange server, rather it is hosted by a service provider.
    What I am trying to do is setting a local autodiscover xml file to which I refer to with the registry key under [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\O utlook\AutoDiscover]

So far I have been successful in getting Outlook to look for the file and find it. Outlook then uses the file to set up the account, but there are a few settings which I can't seam to manage implementing correctly.

Firstly: As our email is hosted by a service provider, the login name is in the format <username>@<domain>.
    However, in the xml file I can't find a way to have this inserted dynamically.
    If I don't enter the <loginname> option it only uses the username part before the @ without the domain name. This happens even if I turn on the <domainrequired> option.
    If I do enter the <loginname> option, I can only enter one specific <username> and <domain> in that file.

But what I am trying to achieve is setting up a domain-wide xml file and getting Outlook to recognize that the server demands the <domain> after the <username> of the person who is currently trying to set up his account.
    i.e. If user1 is setting up his account the login is user1@domain.com and when user2 is setting up his account the login is user2@domain.com

So what I want is inserting some kind of variable into the xml file which tells Outlook that it is supposed to insert the current <username> before the @domain.com as the loginname

Outlook seams to have no problem dynamically inserting the <username> as the login according to the entered email address as long as no <domain> is required. So why can't I achieve the same with a domain in the login?

Can anybody point me in the correct direction?
    Thanks a lot.
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 3:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This is a note to let you know that we are performing research on it.

Max Meng

TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 5, 2011 2:40 AM
  • Oh wow!

Thanks so much.

I am very impressed with your willingness to help, but I am even more impressed that you cared enough to take the time and give me a heads up on it.

Monday, December 5, 2011 9:43 AM
  • Wanted to confirm if I have understood the issue properly

1.)    We want to use Local Autodiscover.xml file to configure Outlook Profile

2.)    During Outlook Profile configuration we don’t want to user to type the Domainname i.e :- @Domain.com

3.)    Your Internal Domain Name and Email Address @Domain.com is different

4.)    If possible can you upload the Autodiscover.xml file for better understanding.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 7:56 PM
  • Wanted to confirm if I have understood the issue properly

1.)    We want to use Local Autodiscover.xml file to configure Outlook Profile

2.)    During Outlook Profile configuration we don’t want to user to type the Domainname i.e :- @Domain.com

3.)    Your Internal Domain Name and Email Address @Domain.com is different

4.)    If possible can you upload the Autodiscover.xml file for better understanding.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

1) correct

2) wrong

3) if with internal domain name you mean the Active Directory domain name then you are correct as the AD is abc.local and the Email domain is abc.org.

4) The point is that I am trying to compile the xml file and don't know how to. There is nothing currently in the file that can explain the issue.

Now to try and make this a little clearer:

What currently happens is the following:

When a user opens up his Outlook the first time he is prompted to set up a profile. He is then asked to enter his email-address and his password. He is however not prompted at this point to enter his "username" for LOGIN to his email account. Outlook just assumes the Login-name is the FIRST part of his email address i.e. the part before the @ sign. However, at some places the username is actually the FULL email address including the domain name i.e. including the part after the @sign.

Now the xml file has an option called <DomainRequired> which is supposed to tell Outlook that the username includes the domain name. But unlike the default where Outlook AUTOMATICALLY assumes that the login-name is the same as the first part of the email address, when using the <DomainRequired> Outlook wil not AUTOMATICALLY fill in the login name with the full email address. It will continue to try with only the FIRST part before the @ sign. On my system (XP Pro SP3) this caused the window the freeze with the only option left to kill the process. After killing the process Outlook automatically launches again. That's when I discovered that the account has actually been set up, but the login was without domain name and at that point the user is prompted the enter his login details.

Now in the xml file there also is an option to enter the <loginName>. However, this option forces you to put the actual FULL loginname of the user. That would require the administrator to create a seperate xml file for each user and kind of defeats the purpose of Autodiscover.

What I am trying to achieve is the following:

I am trying to use the <loginName> and entering a variable i.e. the xml file should have an entry under <LoginName> something like %username%@abc.org where Outlook will AUTOMATICALLY FILL in the correct username (based on the first part of the email address) to replace the %username% variable. Alternatively, I would expect Outlook to take the <DomainRequired> at face value, and when I switch on that option Outlook should use the FULL email address as the login name.

I hope this clarifies thing a bit more.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 11:50 PM
  • Just a small step back from the current issue with setting up a xml-file for AutoDiscover;

Why are you opting to use AutoDiscover in the first place and not deploy a prf-file with all the settings?
    This will prevent Outlook from "guessing" and the user won't have to fill in anything at all.

You can create a prf-file via the Office Customization Tool (OCT) and you can deploy it via a logon script, GPO or many other deployment means.
    For instructions see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/deployprf.htm

Note that you can alter the prf-file in Notepad if you need to configure some specific settings which cannot be configured via the OCT interface.

AutoDiscover is more suitable for non-managed environments to support people who need to configure Outlook themselves and might not know the mail server settings.

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 11:38 AM
  • Thanks for your suggestion using a prf-file

I did try using one and did realize I could edit it in Notepad.

I followed the link you gave and in the linked to article there are 3 possible deployments.

1. using the /importprf startup switch

The article itself enumerates the downsides of this option and they apply to me too.

2. ImportPRF Registry value

This is the option I tried.

I had 2 issues with this.

Firstly I found that when an account is set up this way, the settings can't be edited afterwards. The main issue here is the fact that the test-button is disabled. I find that button very helpful when troubelshooting.

Secondly, this option can only be used on the first run of Outlook. Some users will have more than one email account. For instance myself have my own private account as well as the "support" email account.

3. Deployment script

That is an option I hadn't seen before and I believe that is what you are referring to.

If I am not mistaken you are the one who compiled the script.

To be honest I am not very good at vb scripting so I will definitely appreciate your input. I think I did understand the basic idea in the script, but didn't quite understand how/when/where to deploy it.

I will write here what I understood and please correct me where I am wrong and improve my understanding where needed.

'=====BEGIN EDITING=====
    'Name of mail profile as in the prf-file
    ProfileName = "Outlook"
    'Path to the prf-file
    ProfilePath = "\\server\share\profile.prf"
    'Increase the ProfileVersion whenever you want to reapply the prf-file
    ProfileVersion = 1
    '======STOP EDITING UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING=====

I understand that before deploying I am supposed to change the "Outlook" part for the profile name of the end-user and edit the \\server\share\profile.prf to point to the correct place on our server.

So for John I would change "Outlook" to "John" and point it to \\MyServer\MyShare\John.prf

Does that mean that I have to first prepare a seperate .prf file for each user and store it on the share of our server?

Also, how do I get the script with John's profile to run when John logs on, whilst Jack (in the same OU of the AD) will have HIS script. I assume the "Profile" entry is based on the login-name of the AD, but I didn't manage finding the code for that in the script.

I further understood that upon login the script will check whether this profile already exists. If it doesn't it will delete any eventual "firstrun" entries of the registry and will create a "importPrf" entry. This will mean that when the user will launche Outlook it will believe it runs the first time, it will see the "importPrf" entry and will automatically set up the account.

This however means that my first issue mentioned above with registry deployment (that it will disable the test-button) still remains.

This would also mean that if the user logs in with his AD-profile to a different computer than his permanent workstation and launches Outlook (even by mistake), it will automatically create his account. This is something I want to avoid as many user are using pop3 and that will cause him to loose track of mails downloaded on other work-stations. An additional issue with that is that it will cause lots of overhead (mainly space, but still) on some computers which are frequently used by "visitors". I would want to require John an additional step (entering credentials in Outlook as with the autodiscover) before his mail-profile is created.

I have an additional issue with the alert the user gets when the prf can't be found, but that I can obviously delete from the script.

many thanks for your help, and a happy week-end to all.

Thursday, December 8, 2011 4:16 PM
  • I would like to know if there's an answer to this question. I need the format and content of the local XML file. The solution proposed neglects to tell me what the XML file should have in it.
    Friday, February 3, 2012 6:00 PM
  • I agree! I would also like to know the answer. What value can you put in for the <LoginName> to programmatacilly get it to display the user name & domain name?
    Friday, October 5, 2012 6:06 PM
  • Sorry, but I havn't found the solution yet.

Would still appreciate the imput from the community.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 10:53 AM
  • Did u find the solution..i face the same problem..any help
    Tuesday, February 26, 2019 6:27 AM