none
System Restore and lots of errors! RRS feed

• Question

• I seem to have a continuous problem where my computer comes up with an error saying that windows host service can't open a file on my computer so the program will be shut down - I'm not sure what program it is trying to open as it can be when I'm not even using anything.  In the event application log the following error comes up:

Windows cannot access the file  for one of the following reasons:  there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage  drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing.  Windows closed the program Host Process for Windows Services because of this error.

Program: Host Process for Windows Services
    File:
    The error value is listed in the Additional Data section.
    User Action
    1. Open the file again.  This situation might be a temporary problem that corrects itself when the program runs again.
    2.  If the file still cannot be accessed and
        - It is on the network,  your network administrator should verify that there is not a problem with the network and that the server can be contacted.
        - It is on a removable disk, for example, a floppy disk or CD-ROM, verify that the disk is fully inserted into the computer.
    3. Check and repair the file system by running CHKDSK. To run CHKDSK, click Start, click Run, type CMD, and then click OK. At the command prompt, type CHKDSK /F, and then press ENTER.
    4. If the problem persists, restore the file from a backup copy.
    5. Determine whether other files on the same disk can be opened. If not, the disk might be damaged. If it is a hard disk, contact your administrator or computer hardware vendor for  further assistance.

Additional Data
    Error value: C0000185
    Disk type: 0
    Event Id 1005
    -------

I also get these other errors so I'm not sure if they are related:

Faulting application svchost.exe_WinDefend, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x47918b89, faulting module mpengine.dll, version 1.1.5406.0, time stamp 0x4b5dd014, exception code 0xc0000006, fault offset 0x001a61c0, process id 0x3a4, application start time 0x01caac7faf7acbf7.
    Event Id 1000
    ------

The scheduled restore point could not be created.  Additional information: (0x8004230f).
    Event Id 8210
    -----

Failed to create restore point on volume (Process = C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe /d srrstr.dll,ExecuteScheduledSPPCreation; Descripton = Scheduled Checkpoint; Hr = 0x8004230f).
    Event Id 8193
    ------

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error calling a routine on a Shadow Copy Provider {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}. Routine details GetSnapshotProperties({c6b32cfe-e8ef-4135-8843-f1e34f0612c1}) [hr = 0x80042308].
    Operation:
       Executing Asynchronous Operation
    Context:
     Current State: DoSnapshotSet
    Event ID 12293
    -----

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.
    Event ID 10
    -----

Source: Volsnap.  The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because of an IO failure on volume C: Event Id 14
    Source: Atapi.  The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0. Event Id 11

I have run checkdisk several time and that doesn't seem to help, or it does for a couple of days and then I start getting the error again.  I have also tried to run a scan in safe mode as I've seen advised several times here but the following error comes up after only verifying it to 76% complete:

Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation. 

I am also unable to create a system restore point.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 5:52 PM

Answers

• Hello,

From the log, it indicated that the problem is caused by the corrupted Volume Shadow Copy Service. Try to restart the Volume Shadow Copy Service:

Step 1: Remove all restore points
    ========================
    1. Click start button, right click computer and choose properties.
    2. Click Advanced system settings.
    3. In system protection tab, select the avaiable drives which has protection on, click Configure, click "Turn off system protection".
    4. Then turn on the Protection.

Step 2: Restart Volume Shadow Copy Service
    ===========================
    1. Click start button, type in services.msc and then press enter.
    2. locate  Volume Shadow Copy Service and double click.
    3. Click stop button to stop the service. Then click start to restart it.
    Thomas77
    Monday, February 15, 2010 5:22 AM

All replies

• Hello,

From the log, it indicated that the problem is caused by the corrupted Volume Shadow Copy Service. Try to restart the Volume Shadow Copy Service:

Step 1: Remove all restore points
    ========================
    1. Click start button, right click computer and choose properties.
    2. Click Advanced system settings.
    3. In system protection tab, select the avaiable drives which has protection on, click Configure, click "Turn off system protection".
    4. Then turn on the Protection.

Step 2: Restart Volume Shadow Copy Service
    ===========================
    1. Click start button, type in services.msc and then press enter.
    2. locate  Volume Shadow Copy Service and double click.
    3. Click stop button to stop the service. Then click start to restart it.
    Thomas77
    Monday, February 15, 2010 5:22 AM
  • Re restore point - thanks very much - I did the above and have now been able to create a restore point.

I still can't a scan in safe mode though - it only goes to verifying to 76% complete with the error "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."  I think this must be related to all the other errors I keep getting - any advice on what to do for that?

Thx
    Monday, February 15, 2010 12:37 PM
  • Hello,

The error  "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."  is caused by corrupted system files. You can do an in-place upgrade to repair:

the In-place Upgrade is a tool to repair the system. It will restore all system files and remove all installed updates.  The In-place Upgrade will not affect settings like photos, movies, documents, etc. that are saved on the computer. 

In-place Upgrade
    =============
    1. Insert the Windows 7 DVD in the computer's DVD drive.
    2. Click Start and choose Computer.
    3. Please find the "setup.exe" file in the DVD-ROM and double click it.
    4. Click Install now.
    5. When we are prompted to input the product key, please click Next without inputting any key. The setup wizard will prompt and ask if you agree to install Windows Vista without the key. Please choose to confirm.
    6. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the system files of Windows 7.

Note: While performing the In-place Upgrade, the system will restart automatically (several times) to merge the files and programs. Please leave the computer alone and do not configure it until In-place Upgrade is completed. The system will start Windows Vista once it is upgraded.
    Thomas77
    • Proposed as answer by Brian Borg Sunday, June 6, 2010 9:58 PM
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 2:19 AM