Not all email shows in inbox. RRS feed

• Question

• This is NOT a filtering issue.  I have multiple users, including myself, that have noticed that not all email are showing in the inbox on occasion.  For instance, this morning one of them showed me she had 4 unread email in her inbox from her phone.  But when we look at her Outlook inbox, there were only 2 showing, and they were SUBSEQUENT to the ones that were not showing.  

We use the current version of O365, and email is Exchange in the Microsoft cloud.  I should add that clicking out of the inbox (like to Sent Items) and then back into the inbox fixes the issue for those missing email.  If you do not do that, you still receive subsequent email in your inbox, but the prior ones still do not appear.

Any ideas how to fix this besides clicking on another folder and then back in the inbox?

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 3:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What's the version of your Outlook? (File > Office Account > About Outlook). Please make sure you have upgraded your Outlook to the latest version.

>>But when we look at her Outlook inbox, there were only 2 showing, and they were SUBSEQUENT to the ones that were not showing.

Can these missing messages be searched?

>>I should add that clicking out of the inbox (like to Sent Items) and then back into the inbox fixes the issue for those missing email.

Please try directly clicking Send/Receive > Update Folder and see if the emails will appear.

Please follow the suggestions below to do some troubleshooting.

1. To confirm whether this is a client issue, please try exiting Outlook desktop client and see if the issue can be reproduced on the web mail. And please also try configuring another account on your Outlook client and test.
    2. This issue may be cauesed by a damaged View in Outlook, so please clean view via press Win + R, type “outlook /cleanviews”, press Enter.
    3. There could be some add-ins in your Outlook client that cause this issue, so it is suggested to start your Outlook in safe mode (Press Win + R, type “outlook /safe”, press Enter.) and see if the issue continues.
    4. If this issue happened in Cached mode, please try starting your Outlook in online mode and test (File > Account Settings > Double click your account > Uncheck "Use Cached Exchange Mode to download email to an Outlook data file")
    5. A corrupted Profile can also lead to this issue, please try creating and using a new Outlook profile via Control Panel > Mail > Show profile and see if there is any difference.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 2:35 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got the issue fixed?

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 19, 2019 9:30 AM
  • Hi Adrian.  I got sidetracked and just got back to this.  I have to leave for the day in a few minutes...I will reply tomorrow.  Thanks.
    Friday, December 20, 2019 12:01 AM
  • Hi,

It has been a while, How is everything going?

If there is any update, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Monday, December 23, 2019 9:23 AM
  • This appears to have resolved itself.  No more users have reported it nor have I seen it again myself.  I hate that.
    Thursday, April 9, 2020 4:31 PM