none
Internet Explorer 11 Support Period? RRS feed

• Question

• I looked at the lifecycle page and it didn't list a date for EOL.

I read that IE 11 would be supported for as long as Windows 10.  Windows 10 LTSB build 10240 with IE 11 is supported for 10 years.  So, does that mean IE 11 will be supported until at least July 2025?

That seems like an unusually long time.

Where is documentation located describing specifics on how long IE 11 will be supported?

• Edited by MyGposts Sunday, February 14, 2016 8:00 AM
    Sunday, February 14, 2016 7:59 AM

Answers

• Hi MyGposts

The Microsoft Support Lifecycle policy continues to provide a minimum of five years of Mainstream Support and a minimum of five years of Extended Support for Business and Developer products, and the Windows operating system. The latest version of Internet Explorer will continue to follow the component policy, which means that it follows the support lifecycle and is supported for as long as the Windows operating system for which it is installed on.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle#gp/Microsoft-Internet-Explorer

Microsoft Edge has been released (built-in with Windows 10) and I think it would replace Internet Explorer 11(personal idea) in the future as time goes on it is improving day by day. Internet Explorer 11 is still the mainstream. It should be supported for a long time. Based on the upper information and to be optimistic, I hope IE11 would be supported as long as 10 years. Fortunately, an expired product usually means Microsoft won`t release security updates for it but it doesn`t mean we couldn`t use it any more.

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by MyGposts Wednesday, February 17, 2016 2:20 PM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 10:01 AM

All replies

• Microsoft Support Lifecycle

"Beginning January 12, 2016, only the most current version of Internet Explorer available for a supported operating system will receive technical support and security updates. "

Sunday, February 14, 2016 4:37 PM
  • That is only relevant to older versions of Internet Explorer.  IE 11 is already the most current version and said to be the "last version."

So, that means Internet Explorer 11 will be supported for 10 years or more (at least for Windows 10 LTSB) because there is no new version of Internet Explorer coming and LTSB with IE 11 is supported for 10 years.

Sunday, February 14, 2016 5:17 PM
  • Hi MyGposts

The Microsoft Support Lifecycle policy continues to provide a minimum of five years of Mainstream Support and a minimum of five years of Extended Support for Business and Developer products, and the Windows operating system. The latest version of Internet Explorer will continue to follow the component policy, which means that it follows the support lifecycle and is supported for as long as the Windows operating system for which it is installed on.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle#gp/Microsoft-Internet-Explorer

Microsoft Edge has been released (built-in with Windows 10) and I think it would replace Internet Explorer 11(personal idea) in the future as time goes on it is improving day by day. Internet Explorer 11 is still the mainstream. It should be supported for a long time. Based on the upper information and to be optimistic, I hope IE11 would be supported as long as 10 years. Fortunately, an expired product usually means Microsoft won`t release security updates for it but it doesn`t mean we couldn`t use it any more.

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by MyGposts Wednesday, February 17, 2016 2:20 PM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 10:01 AM
  • Okay, so IE11 will be supported into 2026.

The question becomes who in their right mind, either as a user or especially as a developer, would want to continue using it for that long?

Both FireFox and Chrome outperform IE11 in terms of supported HTML5, CSS3 and standardized JavaScript syntax, and those browsers are updated continuously to follow W3C recommendations as the web constantly moves forward.

IE11 may well be supported upto 2026 to plug security holes, but it's inherent web support (or lack thereof) was baked-in upon release, and it was lacking even then, compared to its peers at the time.

Just a thought.

Saturday, August 12, 2017 4:31 PM