WAP Logging RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a WAP in the environment for publishing the urls which are accessed. I did not find a log file or location wherein the traffic logs are saved. (For example, in Apache, whenever a user accesses a url; the IP address,username,url,etc are saved in the traffic logs).

1. Can WAP be configured to save the traffic logs (as it is essential to know who is accessing the url and also as TLS1.0 support would be ending next year, the logs will help to know if any users are still using old browsers.)

2. If WAP cannot be configured to get the traffic logs, is there any other way that the logs can be obtained.

FYI, I have already looked at Event Viewer and also configured analytic and debug logging which isn't traffic logs.

Any help would be great appreciated as if WAP does not have traffic logs, it doesn't make a sense having it in the first place.

Monday, August 14, 2017 2:10 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I have a WAP in the environment for publishing the urls which are accessed. I did not find a log file or location wherein the traffic logs are saved. (For example, in Apache, whenever a user accesses a url; the IP address,username,url,etc are saved in the traffic logs).

1. Can WAP be configured to save the traffic logs (as it is essential to know who is accessing the url and also as TLS1.0 support would be ending next year, the logs will help to know if any users are still using old browsers.)

2. If WAP cannot be configured to get the traffic logs, is there any other way that the logs can be obtained.

FYI, I have already looked at Event Viewer and also configured analytic and debug logging which isn't traffic logs.

Any help would be great appreciated as if WAP does not have traffic logs, it doesn't make a sense having it in the first place.

Hi John, 1. The answer is yes if you are using WAP 2.0 & no if you are using WAP 3.0 without ADFS. Since, WAP 3.0 2012R2 is already setup with passthrough authentication for accessing Internal URL in our environment, we are also looking for workaround for getting user access /traffic logs.WAP 2.0 works with IIS & WAP 3.0 (2012 R2)doesn’t work with IIS We installed IIS on WAP 3.0 server & checked in UAT but it didn’t work.It seems WAP 3.0 (2012R2) uses HTTP.sys instead of IIS as web listener. 2.Additionally, there are no user access/traffic logs when using passthrough authentication without ADFS. The only way to obtain use4 access logs with WAP is using ADFS
    Sunday, May 26, 2019 5:55 AM

All replies

• Hi John, Thanks for posting query on WAP. I understand admin logs of WAP 2012R2 doesn’t give enough information. Please find answers to your pertinent queries inline: 1.No, WAP doesn’t have inbuilt mechanism for saving user access logs ,if pass through authentication is being used. 2.Yes, WAP can be configured to save the user access logs if ADFS authentication is used. I hope this will help in finalizing the stratrgy as per your requirement.
    Thursday, May 16, 2019 1:07 AM
  • Hello,

Hi John, 1. The answer is yes if you are using WAP 2.0 & no if you are using WAP 3.0 without ADFS. Since, WAP 3.0 2012R2 is already setup with passthrough authentication for accessing Internal URL in our environment, we are also looking for workaround for getting user access /traffic logs.WAP 2.0 works with IIS & WAP 3.0 (2012 R2)doesn’t work with IIS We installed IIS on WAP 3.0 server & checked in UAT but it didn’t work.It seems WAP 3.0 (2012R2) uses HTTP.sys instead of IIS as web listener. 2.Additionally, there are no user access/traffic logs when using passthrough authentication without ADFS. The only way to obtain use4 access logs with WAP is using ADFS
    Sunday, May 26, 2019 5:55 AM