Installation failure during System Center Service Manager 2012 RC RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having difficulty getting the Service Manager management server component of System Center Service Manager 2012 RC installed.  It successfully get through the steps of

Initialize

Install files

Create database

Configure registry settings

Configure server

Install services

Import management packs

It gets to the end of the installation (where on the GUI it shows Finalize and the text below the status bar shows "Removing backup files") and then rolls back.  The Service Account is in the Administrators group of the Service Manager host and has the OS Log on as a Service right.  The SQL Server is remote and the Service Account has sysadmin rights on the SQL Server.  In the SCSMInstall01.txt file I get the following

ExecNetFx:  Installing assembly Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Core, Version=7.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35
    ExecNetFx:  C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe update /queue
    ExecNetFx:  Microsoft (R) CLR Native Image Generator - Version 2.0.50727.5420
    ExecNetFx:  Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
    MSI (s) (44:A0) [21:37:15:308]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI60D8.tmp, Entrypoint: ConfigureSDKConfigService
    ConfigureSDKConfigService: Custom action data property value. 1 OMCFG
    ConfigureSDKConfigService: RHS so start services. 1
    CAStartServices: CAStartServices was passed . OMCFG
    CAStartServices: Checking if service already started. OMCFG
    CAStartServices: Attempting to start service. OMCFG
    MSI (s) (44:88) [21:37:18:859]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI6EA4.tmp, Entrypoint: ConfigureSDKConfigService
    ConfigureSDKConfigService: Custom action data property value. 1 OMSDK
    ConfigureSDKConfigService: RHS so start services. 1
    CAStartServices: CAStartServices was passed . OMSDK
    CAStartServices: Attempting to start service. OMSDK
    MSI (s) (44:8C) [21:37:29:800]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI9930.tmp, Entrypoint: WaitForSDKServiceStart
    CAPACK: Extracting custom action to temporary directory: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI9930.tmp-\
    CAPACK: Binding to CLR version v2.0.50727
    Calling custom action CAManaged!Microsoft.MOMv3.Setup.MOMv3ManagedCAs.WaitForSDKServiceStart
    WaitForSDKServiceStart:Entering
    WaitForSDKServiceStart:Sleeping for SDK to start 0 seconds
    WaitForSDKServiceStart:Sleeping for SDK to start 10 seconds
    WaitForSDKServiceStart:Sleeping for SDK to start 20 seconds
    WaitForSDKServiceStart:Sleeping for SDK to start 30 seconds
    WaitForSDKServiceStart:Sleeping for SDK to start 40 seconds
    WaitForSDKServiceStart:Sleeping for SDK to start 50 seconds
    WaitForSDKServiceStart:Sleeping for SDK to start 60 seconds
    WaitForSDKServiceStart:Sleeping for SDK to start 70 seconds
    WaitForSDKServiceStart:Sleeping for SDK to start 80 seconds
    WaitForSDKServiceStart:Sleeping for SDK to start 90 seconds
    WaitForSDKServiceStart:Sleeping for SDK to start 100 seconds
    WaitForSDKServiceStart:Sleeping for SDK to start 110 seconds
    WaitForSDKServiceStart:Sleeping for SDK to start 120 seconds
    WaitForSDKServiceStart:Sleeping for SDK to start 130 seconds
    WaitForSDKServiceStart:Sleeping for SDK to start 140 seconds
    WaitForSDKServiceStart:Sleeping for SDK to start 150 seconds
    WaitForSDKServiceStart:Sleeping for SDK to start 160 seconds
    WaitForSDKServiceStart:Sleeping for SDK to start 170 seconds
    WaitForSDKServiceStart: SDK Service connect error, after 3 mins, fail this function
    MSI (s) (44:8C) [21:42:33:556]: NOTE: custom action _WaitForSDKServiceStart unexpectedly closed the hInstall handle (type MSIHANDLE) provided to it. The custom action should be fixed to not close that handle.
    CustomAction _WaitForSDKServiceStart returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
    MSI (s) (44:70) [21:42:33:708]: Executing op: Header(Signature=1397708873,Version=500,Timestamp=1082960597,LangId=0,Platform=589824,ScriptType=2,ScriptMajorVersion=21,ScriptMinorVersion=4,ScriptAttributes=1)
    MSI (s) (44:70) [21:42:33:708]: Executing op: DialogInfo(Type=0,Argument=0)
    MSI (s) (44:70) [21:42:33:708]: Executing op: DialogInfo(Type=1,Argument=Microsoft System Center 2012 - Service Manager)
    MSI (s) (44:70) [21:42:33:708]: Executing op: RollbackInfo(,RollbackAction=Rollback,RollbackDescription=Rolling back action:,RollbackTemplate=[1],CleanupAction=RollbackCleanup,CleanupDescription=Removing backup files,CleanupTemplate=File: [1])
    MSI (s) (44:70) [21:42:33:708]: Executing op: RegisterBackupFile(File=D:\Config.Msi\48677.rbf)

and the installation rolls back.

Does anyone have any ideas to fix this one?

Friday, April 13, 2012 4:53 AM

Answers

• I got the installation to work.  I had used the remote sql installation for a Service Manager 2012 installation previously.  I built another Service Manager Windows 2008 box with greater capacity.  I had removed the database off of the sql installation.  When I tried the SM installation for the second time (and subsequent tries) on the new windows box I used the old windows domain accounts and group I had created for the original SM installation.  I created new users for the Service Account and Workflow Account and a new domain group and then the installation completed successfully.  I don't know what else would have been left that I should have cleaned.  Is there any docs that explain how to clean off an installation?
    • Marked as answer by KSCHA Friday, August 24, 2012 2:34 AM
    Friday, April 13, 2012 3:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems like the time-out value for the SDK service to start is reached - increase the time-out and try again.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922918

Regards
    //Anders

Anders Asp | Lumagate | www.lumagate.com | Sweden | My blog: www.scsm.se

Friday, April 13, 2012 8:58 AM
  • Sorry, forgot to mention that I had already made that registry change.
    Friday, April 13, 2012 12:04 PM
  • Ok, what is it set to now?

Are there any return value 3 in the installation log?

Regards
    //Anders

Friday, April 13, 2012 12:08 PM
  • the value is set to 60000 (decimal).  There aren't any return value 3's in the installation logs.  Just the same message in the log noted above

WaitForSDKServiceStart: SDK Service connect error, after 3 mins, fail this function
    MSI (s) (44:8C) [21:42:33:556]: NOTE: custom action _WaitForSDKServiceStart unexpectedly closed the hInstall handle (type MSIHANDLE) provided to it. The custom action should be fixed to not close that handle.
    CustomAction _WaitForSDKServiceStart returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)

Friday, April 13, 2012 12:26 PM
  • 60000 ms = 60 seconds. Add a zero to increase the timeout to 10 minutes.

Regards
    //Anders

Friday, April 13, 2012 1:38 PM
  • Made the registry change, rebooted the server, redid the install and still got the same error and messages in the log.  Any other suggestions?
    Friday, April 13, 2012 2:20 PM
  • I got the installation to work.  I had used the remote sql installation for a Service Manager 2012 installation previously.  I built another Service Manager Windows 2008 box with greater capacity.  I had removed the database off of the sql installation.  When I tried the SM installation for the second time (and subsequent tries) on the new windows box I used the old windows domain accounts and group I had created for the original SM installation.  I created new users for the Service Account and Workflow Account and a new domain group and then the installation completed successfully.  I don't know what else would have been left that I should have cleaned.  Is there any docs that explain how to clean off an installation?
    • Marked as answer by KSCHA Friday, August 24, 2012 2:34 AM
    Friday, April 13, 2012 3:11 PM