none
Problems installing KB3172614

Question

• I have two newly-built Server 2012R2 boxes. Both had KB2919355 out of the box. I also installed WMF 5.0. After that, I attempted to install the latest hotfix rollup, KB3172614. However, what I attempt to install it, I get the message "The update is not applicable to your computer." I triple-checked that I have the only listed prerequisite, which is KB2919355, and I've rebooted the servers multiple times.

I ran the .msu with the /log switch and the result didn't give me anything more insightful than the message above. I double-checked the hash on my file and checked that I was trying to install the right one (AMD64-all-windows8.1-kb3172614-x64_e41365e643b98ab745c21dba17d1d3b6bb73cfcc.msu). Everything seems correct. Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks,
    Eric

Eric Hodges

Friday, July 22, 2016 9:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• I just downloaded and installed on a fairly new build no problem, but then before doing so I have installed all others presented through windows update and also any optional updates. There may be another prerequisite that is not listed so I'd try bringing it current before installing this one.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, July 22, 2016 9:45 PM
  • Hi I tried to install it after installing most other updates. And I cannot install the update. It looks like a new update overrules KB2919355
    Friday, July 22, 2016 10:04 PM
  • Hi,

Regarding the error "The update is not applicable to your computer", please refer to the following article and verify the possible cause mentioned there:

Update is not applicable to your computer- but it is

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/silvana/2014/10/22/update-is-not-applicable-to-your-computer-but-it-is/

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 25, 2016 7:11 AM
  • Eric,

I'm having similar issues.  The patch installed without issue on 2 out of my 5 Windows 2012 R2 servers.  It fails on the other 3, with no meaningful information in the error message (that generic 80244019).

I'm installing them from our WSUS server (which is one of the 3 servers that is failing on this update).

Monday, July 25, 2016 2:23 PM

• I'm installing them from our WSUS server (which is one of the 3 servers that is failing on this update).

I'd ask over here for WSUS issues.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-us/home?forum=winserverwsus

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, July 25, 2016 2:26 PM
  • Thanks, Dave.

I don't suspect WSUS is at the root of my problem... as two of my servers obtained and installed the update from the very same WSUS server without issue.

That said, I will still follow the link you so kindly provided.  WSUS is certainly a strange beast and I don't pretend for one minute to grasp all of its workings.   I really wish I didn't need to install a distributable from 2008 to read the reports that it generates when I'm running Windows Server 2012 R2.  It makes my skin crawl to have to load such old code onto servers that we're trying to limit to the 'new' code.  But I digress.. :)

Thanks again for taking the time to point me toward helpful information.

Monday, July 25, 2016 7:24 PM
  • Here is an update: I have used SCCM to deploy all available updates (several dozen) to the two servers. Even though I've approved KB2919355 in SCCM, and it's marked as needed by some of our 2012 R2 server, it's still not seeing these two servers as needing the update. Manually trying to install the KB still results in an error.

Since the two servers have all their updates except 2919355, I'm moving on for now. I'll take a look at the situation again in a couple of months; maybe an update superseding 2919355 will be released and I'll try that one out.

Eric Hodges

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 5:59 PM
  • Try installing KB 3021910 before installing KB 3172614.

KB 3021910 - April 2015 servicing stack update for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3021910

• Proposed as answer by Christapor Sunday, July 31, 2016 7:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by AlvwanModerator Monday, August 1, 2016 6:27 AM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2016 6:07 PM
  • Thank you Chris... Installing KB 3021910 solved the problem, KB3172614 installed successfully :)
    Sunday, July 31, 2016 7:20 AM
  • Hi,

Even while installing 3021910 gives me same error " Update is not applicable for your computer" i am currently installing it in test environment.

Deepak G Systems Engineer

Thursday, August 25, 2016 5:58 AM
  • Hi,

Even while installing 3021910 gives me same error " Update is not applicable for your computer" i am currently installing it in test environment.

Deepak G Systems Engineer

Thursday, August 25, 2016 5:59 AM