none
SC DPM 2012 R2 moving to a new server with same storage RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to move the DPM to a new server with a new name but with the same storage (keeping the recovery point

I followed the guide "Move DPM to a new server with different settings" attached the storage, and got the result that I see no recovery points and the gents monitor on the new server is saying: "The protection agent operation failed because DPM detected an unknown DPM protection agent on server.domain"

Same OS same DPM version, what am I missing?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh757865.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396#BKMK_Diff

Arnold MCSE

• Edited by ArnoldMo Wednesday, June 3, 2015 2:48 PM
    Wednesday, June 3, 2015 2:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you intend on using the same storage pool and maintain recovery points, you needed to follow the "Move DPM to a new server with the same settings" - you cannot change the name of the DPM server if you want to use old storage pool and DPMDB to retain recovery points.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 11:05 PM