Multi Documents TOC/TOF/TOT Hyperlinked RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm using Word 2007. I have a manual comprised of several chapters. Each chapter is a separate document with Headings, Styles and references between headings, figure titles and table titles. I can general hyperlinked TOC/TOF/TOT within each doc. I also managed to generate a common TOC for all docs using RD field. The RD file allows a "one way" update but is not hyperlinked. The issue is as follows: I need to create a single PDF file containing all the chapters  and maintaining the references and common hyperlinked TOC/TOF/TOT. 

Thanks for your assistance,

Hector

Thursday, June 27, 2019 7:22 AM

All replies

• You can use Word's Master Document feature to assemble your sub-documents, create a TOC and save as a PDF. Here is a simple tutorial on how to create Master Documents: Creating a Master Document Using Existing Subdocuments

Please note that Master Documents are vulnerable to coruption that can cause loss of sub-documents. For this reason, I recommend that you create a Master Document to produce your final PDF, then discard the Master Document.

Thursday, June 27, 2019 5:07 PM
  • You can use Word's Master Document feature to assemble your sub-documents, create a TOC and save as a PDF.

Only if you don't care about destroying the documents concerned. Microsoft's Master Document 'feature' has been a known source of document corruption for decades. See:
    https://wordmvp.com/FAQs/General/WhyMasterDocsCorrupt.htm
    http://www.addbalance.com/word/masterdocuments.htm

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Friday, June 28, 2019 2:07 AM
  • A single Word document can be as large as 512Mb, including 32Mb of text. Accordingly, you might review why it is that you're keeping them separate.

Even if you want to keep the documents separate, you can combine them via INCLUDETEXT fields so there is a single document (using a standard TOC field and no RD fields) you can use for the PDF creation.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Friday, June 28, 2019 2:10 AM
  • Hi, 

Just checking in to see if the information of macropod was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Regards,

Emi Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 1:05 AM
  • Paul: I imagine you neglected to read "Please note that Master Documents are vulnerable to corruption that can cause loss of sub-documents. For this reason, I recommend that you create a Master Document to produce your final PDF, then discard the Master Document".

Master Documents are perfectly safe to use for assembling subdocuments to print. If you discard them without saving, there is no possibility of subdocuments being corrupted.

• Edited by jkorchok Tuesday, July 9, 2019 9:30 PM
    Tuesday, July 9, 2019 9:26 PM