How to speed up Windows 7's reaction time to my mouse click RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.  We just got new computers at work.  They have approximately 4 gigs of RAM and have Window's 7 on them.  Prior to that we had abysmally old computers running Windows XP.  We have Microsoft Office 365 on them (Not sure how much that matters) and it is connected to both an older server and SharePoint.

I'm positive that there isn't actually a problem with the computer or Windows 7 - it might be really basic harware, however it is brand new.  But everything lags.  Its extremely minor and no one else in the building notices it.  My co-workers all say the entire system is faster in every possible way.  However, I get the same problemwith other computers in the building, at least four others.  It lags just slightly when I click on anything, anywhere (Left and Right click).  Letters appear to lag behind my key presses, just enough for me to notice and no one else (I do wonder if this is caused by Microsoft Office, since it is so clunky).  I also think the mouse pointer moves slower than the pointers on XP.  Its difficult to tell though since I no longer have the old computer to compare. 

This lag did not exist with the old computers.  My clicks were instantaneously carried out and the appearance of the letters I pressed was immediate.  It might be very minor, but it is driving me insane.  I can't watch the screen when I type because it makes me slightly nauseous.  And the click lag slows down my entire process.  I'm pretty sure it isn't actually a problem with Windows 7, I think the OS is just like this.  Is there a way to speed up the reaction time of the mouse click and keyboard button presses?

Thank you for the taking the time.

Monday, March 3, 2014 8:30 PM

Answers

• 1. Use performance monitor for analysis. Without knowing processes that influence response it is hard to give any reasonable advice.

2. In my experience computers with integrated video card are generally slower. (One such example sits on my desk. It is based on D2700 processor and chipset. 4GB RAM, usable 3.23GB. )

3. There are several tweek procedures that may increase the response. Start with Win+Pause/Break -> Advances System Settings -> Advance -> Performance -> Performance Options and look here for optimal, disable autotuning, sometimes QoS, prefer IPv4 over IPv6 (if you still use IPv4, set bit 5), etc

4. Perhaps Performance forum is better fit for your problem.

Regards

Milos

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Friday, March 14, 2014 5:35 AM
    Monday, March 3, 2014 8:45 PM

All replies

• 1. Use performance monitor for analysis. Without knowing processes that influence response it is hard to give any reasonable advice.

2. In my experience computers with integrated video card are generally slower. (One such example sits on my desk. It is based on D2700 processor and chipset. 4GB RAM, usable 3.23GB. )

3. There are several tweek procedures that may increase the response. Start with Win+Pause/Break -> Advances System Settings -> Advance -> Performance -> Performance Options and look here for optimal, disable autotuning, sometimes QoS, prefer IPv4 over IPv6 (if you still use IPv4, set bit 5), etc

4. Perhaps Performance forum is better fit for your problem.

Regards

Milos

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Friday, March 14, 2014 5:35 AM
    Monday, March 3, 2014 8:45 PM
  • Thank you for such a fast response, Milos.  I hadn't been sure whether User Interface or Performance was the better forum.  I apologize.

However, your advice seems to have helped considerably.  I went into the Advanced System Settings and disabled nearly all of the visual elements.  The click lag seems to be entirely gone and I don't feel quite as nauseaous looking at my screen while typing.  Even the mouse pointer seems faster.

Thank you very much for your assistance!

Sarah

Monday, March 3, 2014 9:00 PM