none
Offsite backups of DPM 2010 backups RRS feed

• Question

• In my old backup system (Retrospect) I did disk-based backups of the backup files for offsite storage. I understand that this is not available in DPM unless you get the rather expensive Firestreamer utility. Is this so?
    • Moved by Parag AgrawalModerator Wednesday, August 4, 2010 12:02 PM Tape/ARchiving related Question (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 11:06 AM

Answers

• Hi Owen,

you have multiples options for offsite backups

1. create backup tapes and store them offsite

2. use a second dpm server in a offsite location and backup the primary dpm server

3. you can expose the diskbased backup (replica) with DPMbackup.exe  and backup it up with a third party tool

4. you can use a third party extension and use tcloud storage (iron mountain)

5. use virtual tapes (firestreamer)

this is about it in regards to your options.

hope this helps,

Alex

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 11:50 AM

All replies

• Hi Owen,

you have multiples options for offsite backups

1. create backup tapes and store them offsite

2. use a second dpm server in a offsite location and backup the primary dpm server

3. you can expose the diskbased backup (replica) with DPMbackup.exe  and backup it up with a third party tool

4. you can use a third party extension and use tcloud storage (iron mountain)

5. use virtual tapes (firestreamer)

this is about it in regards to your options.

hope this helps,

Alex

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 11:50 AM
  • Many thanks! I take it that the DPMbackup.exe tool (which looks the best for my purposes) just exposes the hidden DPM partitions?
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 7:56 PM