How to define named instance when running manual prereqchk RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone

I have a rather simple question, but can't seem to find an answer to it.

I wonder if there is any way to manually include the named SQL instance when running the smssetup\bin\x64\prereqchk.exe manually like this:

prereqchk.exe /pri /sql sql.domain.com /mp mp.domain.com /sdk sdk.domain.com

C:\ConfigMgrPrereq.log tells me that there is a line for SQL Named Instance, but it's empty. I can't seem to find the parameter to define this on the command line.

Anyone got any clues?

Thanks

Friday, June 29, 2012 6:25 PM

All replies

• Here are your options to running prereqchk.exe from command lline....

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 3:10 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, but as you can see, there is no documented option to specify the named SQL instance, it's only the entire SQL server, where it will choose the default instance.

See this logfile, it says "INFO: SQL Server named instance <>", which means there is no specified named instance.

BUT! If you run the setup.exe directly and let the wizard run the prereqchecker, it IS able to fill in this named instance, as the log file will show the named of the named instance you entered during the wizard.

My question is therefore: What is the parameter to specify this named instance - or is it only possible if you go through the wizard and let the setup do the prereqchecker instead of starting it manually?

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 5:13 PM
  • The SQL instance is created until you install the SCCM site. I dont see why/how you would check for a instance in the prerec checker.....
    Wednesday, July 25, 2012 8:06 PM
  • Hi,

You can specify like this.

PreReqChk.exe /PRI /SQL server.domain.com\<instancename> /SDK server.domain.com

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 11:28 AM