Sharepoint Site Timeout issue RRS feed

• Question

• We have a sharepoint farm hosted at a hosting provider remotly, but our Active directory is located in house. We have 2 sites one is extension of another (i.e one windows authentication and another forms based authentication). We are facing timeouts on wintdows authenticated site during business hours. We have a private network between our location and remote data center, this  N/W is even shared for other applications as well.

I have a questions. 

For windows authenticated site do sharepoint make a round trip to AD for each page request (i.e. to check the AD groups the user belong to)? The reason for asking this qustion is becasue during the regular business hours our private n/w seems to busy,  so do this has anyimpact for having AD located remotely?

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 1:27 AM

Answers

• Hi veerlapm,

When a user is authenticated in a web, the authentication information is active until the user leaves the web or the session is broken.

Here an article about “how Windows Authentication works in SharePoint”, for more information, please refer to:

https://uafzal.wordpress.com/tag/how-authenication-works-in-sharepoint/

The timeout issue you met is caused by the network, you may consider increasing bandwidth.

Thanks,
    Qiao Wei

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Friday, August 19, 2011 12:44 PM
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 12:48 PM

All replies

• Hi veerlapm,

When a user is authenticated in a web, the authentication information is active until the user leaves the web or the session is broken.

Here an article about “how Windows Authentication works in SharePoint”, for more information, please refer to:

https://uafzal.wordpress.com/tag/how-authenication-works-in-sharepoint/

The timeout issue you met is caused by the network, you may consider increasing bandwidth.

Thanks,
    Qiao Wei

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Friday, August 19, 2011 12:44 PM
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 12:48 PM
  • Would it make sense to have a remote DC where the SP server is, maybe a read-only copy?
    Stunpals - Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:23 PM