none
Creating New Project Server 2010 Instance for Hands on Exercises RRS feed

• Question

• I ran across this procedure in the book "Managing Enterprise Projects using Microsoft Project Server 2010 for Project Managers".  The procedure say to download and copy files to the root C: drive and then to create this new PS 2010 Instance following the procedures in another book I have, "Implementing and Administering Microsoft Project Server 2010".  I have a couple of questions since I'm fairly new to this.

I know realize the new Project Server 2010 Instance is created on the original server that contains SharePoint/PWA, is the root C: drive, where the practice files get downloaded to, that same server or can it be on my local file?

Also which machine gets the Playbook Tools, the SharePoint/PWA server or my local machine?

One more question; how much space generally does a new Project Server 2010 Instance consume.  How much should I allow for?

Thanks, Forrest

Thursday, February 16, 2012 3:50 PM

Answers

• Thank you Dale!

This clears it up for me.

Thank you and the rest of your team for sharing all your experience and knowledge in these powerful books. I'm waiting for your 2nd edition of the Implementing & Administering Project Server 2010 to show up now.  These are extremely helpful for novices like myself.

Best Regards,

• Marked as answer by Forrest Friday, February 17, 2012 2:41 PM
    Friday, February 17, 2012 2:41 PM

All replies

• Forrest, I'll leave Dale to answer the 1st questions, but as to the size of a PS instance, I have a 40GB Virtual disk running Project Server and other items.  For a production machine, then obviously you would want much more...

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:48 PM
  • Thanks Ben,

That gives me a guide to go by.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:51 PM
  • Forrest --

Thank you for buying both of our books, my friend!

To answer your questions:

1.  Save the downloaded sample files in a folder on the C: drive of your laptop or your desktop PC.

2.  You can download and install the Playbooks tool on your laptop or desktop PC as well, and run the Restore feature in the Playbooks tool to restore all of the settings from the sample XML file to the Project Server 2010 instance you want to use with the book.  This will set up your Project Server 2010 instance with the custom fields, custom calendars, security settings, Groups and Categories, Fiscal Periods and Timesheet Periods created in the Project Server 2010 instance used to write the book.

3.  I will allow others to render an opinion on your third question.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Friday, February 17, 2012 1:02 AM
  • Thank you Dale!

This clears it up for me.

Thank you and the rest of your team for sharing all your experience and knowledge in these powerful books. I'm waiting for your 2nd edition of the Implementing & Administering Project Server 2010 to show up now.  These are extremely helpful for novices like myself.

Best Regards,

• Marked as answer by Forrest Friday, February 17, 2012 2:41 PM
    Friday, February 17, 2012 2:41 PM
  • Forrest --

You are more than welcome for the help, my friend!  And thank you for your very kind comments about our books.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Friday, February 17, 2012 5:13 PM
  • Hi, I also got the big book on project server 2010. But I want also to download the supported files. Wen I do this I got an error that says that the files ar being moved.

Please advice.

Best Regards,

Fred Wolterink

Thursday, August 27, 2015 9:15 AM
  • Fred --

You will need to reach out to msProjectExperts directly about this issue.  You will find contact info on their web site.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, August 27, 2015 12:45 PM