none
Software Deployment Solution RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We currently maintain infrastructure of around 250 computers, 50-75 of those are dispersed through out the US and Europe.  Users are able to access company network/intranet via VPN solution and it suffices. 

The issue is whenever we pass updates / patches /policies these computers have to maintain a connection on the VPN otherwise they fail to get the updates and causes issues for the 'IT Department' (3 individuals).

Additionally, upgrading software on these computers has become almost impossible due the VPN connection and the limited transfer / packet speeds.

So my question is, can anyone provide a solution or advice for this problem?  We have ran through a few ideas and I'm looking for possibly more experienced individuals to provide additional ideas for the issue.

Thanks in advance for the advice,

John

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 6:29 PM

Answers

• Hi there, this post has been quiet so am guessing we're all a little stumped by this one. What I would say is that anything you do on the VPN is dependent on a fast/reliable connection to the internet.

In a past life I had a similar issue and I got my remote workers to go to a nearby office to them and use their ultra-fast LAN to use for VPN. I paid said office (company) a small fee for this small rental time of their network while my admin's got on with updating software. Its a non-tech approach but proved faster than the users home broadband and we made some nice friends at the 3rd party's offices. Good luck and sorry this may not have helped you much. Barry

• Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:57 AM
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 3:57 PM
  • Thanks for the response Barry.  We are using a similar approach, however it's not really an effecient way.  Currently, we either attempt to deploy software through Altiris or actually remote into the machines and manually install.

We'll keep testing new ideas though and anything we come up with I'll make sure to post it here for critiques or ideas.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 5:50 PM

All replies

• Hi there, this post has been quiet so am guessing we're all a little stumped by this one. What I would say is that anything you do on the VPN is dependent on a fast/reliable connection to the internet.

In a past life I had a similar issue and I got my remote workers to go to a nearby office to them and use their ultra-fast LAN to use for VPN. I paid said office (company) a small fee for this small rental time of their network while my admin's got on with updating software. Its a non-tech approach but proved faster than the users home broadband and we made some nice friends at the 3rd party's offices. Good luck and sorry this may not have helped you much. Barry

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 3:57 PM
  • Thanks for the response Barry.  We are using a similar approach, however it's not really an effecient way.  Currently, we either attempt to deploy software through Altiris or actually remote into the machines and manually install.

We'll keep testing new ideas though and anything we come up with I'll make sure to post it here for critiques or ideas.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 5:50 PM