none
Bare metal rebuild of Data Protection Manager for DR RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have rebuilt Data Protection Manager many time in a DR test when I have recovered the database from the secondary Data Protection Manager server.

The next test is meant to be bare metal as if we have gone to a data centre and I will only have access to tapes. How can I rebuild Data Protection Manager 2012 when I only have tapes.

Best wishes

Michael

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 1:50 PM

Answers

• Well, first off, I would not rely on tapes alone, I would keep a copy of a domain controllers BMR backup on a removable drive.  Since you are starting from 100% scratch the order I would do the restore is as follows:

1) On new machine1, attach removable drive with DC BMR, boot to WinRE, restore BMR backup.  Now you have a running DC.
    2) On new machine2 with new disks for the DPM storage pool,  join the domain using original DPM servername, Install DPM 2012. attach tape library, insert tape with latest DPMDB, catalog the tape, restore DPMDB locally on the C: drive then run dpmsync -restoredb, dpmsync -sync.  Run DPMSync -reallocatereplica to make missing volumes if you had short term protection to disk.
    3) Any tapes brought back from offsite will now be recognized as native DPM backup tapes and you can start recovering lost servers by restoring the BMR backups to a network share.
    4) On new machine3-# - boot to Winre, restore BMR backup from network location.
    5) Restore latest data for each protected server from DPM tape backups.

Before you know it, your back in full production.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 9:39 PM

All replies

• Well, first off, I would not rely on tapes alone, I would keep a copy of a domain controllers BMR backup on a removable drive.  Since you are starting from 100% scratch the order I would do the restore is as follows:

1) On new machine1, attach removable drive with DC BMR, boot to WinRE, restore BMR backup.  Now you have a running DC.
    2) On new machine2 with new disks for the DPM storage pool,  join the domain using original DPM servername, Install DPM 2012. attach tape library, insert tape with latest DPMDB, catalog the tape, restore DPMDB locally on the C: drive then run dpmsync -restoredb, dpmsync -sync.  Run DPMSync -reallocatereplica to make missing volumes if you had short term protection to disk.
    3) Any tapes brought back from offsite will now be recognized as native DPM backup tapes and you can start recovering lost servers by restoring the BMR backups to a network share.
    4) On new machine3-# - boot to Winre, restore BMR backup from network location.
    5) Restore latest data for each protected server from DPM tape backups.

Before you know it, your back in full production.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 9:39 PM
  • We have the 2nd Data Protection Manager server the other side of the wall that I will be DR testing from, but I have to show I can get it back from another data centre that doesn't have the 2nd Data Protection Manager server. Does the OS have to match the production Data Protection Manager server?

I suppose the big question is, how do you know which tape has the last DPMDB on it?

I appreciate the information.

Best wishes

Michael

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 10:52 AM