Windows 7 Aero themes with multiple pictures slideshow RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I am having strange behavior when selecting multiple pictures for theme in Windows 7 RC. It is present since I started testing Windows 7 in Beta build 7000, and probably before.
    When multiple pictures are selected in event of computer shutting down, going on standby or hibernate, Windows 7 simply stops using all pictures and creates Unsaved theme with only one picture from the collection.
    Sounds and colors in that Unsaved theme are the same like in the multiple pictures theme. I am wondering is this is a bug or intentional, because I would like not have to manually click on the multiple pictures theme every time my computer shuts down/hibernates/goes on standby. Here is the link with picture of the problem: http://img263.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=98053_Multiple_pictures_theme_122_526lo.jpg

Thank You for your help!
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 5:07 PM

Answers

• You may try to repair the system with In-place Upgrade and check the result. In the current system, insert the installation DVD and launch the installation program. Then, select Upgrade rather than Custom Install. After the upgrade finishes, your system components will be repaired.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Friday, June 5, 2009 7:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This issue does not occur on our Windows 7 RC computers. As you said that the issue occurs in both Windows7 Beta and Windows 7 RC, it should not be a system issue.

You may check if the theme is saved and fine. Please check the following folder.

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\

Check if the theme "Multiple pictures" exists.

Also please open "regedit" from Start Search box, and locate to the following branch.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes

In the right pane, please check if the value if the key "CurrentTheme" is

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\Multiple pictures.theme. 

If all of the above settings are correct, I suggest that you re-create the theme. When you save it, please do not include any "space" in the name.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Monday, May 25, 2009 9:45 AM
  • Hello again,

Thank you for your reply, but unfortunately my problem is still here.

I tried everything you described, and things are fine untill reboot, when Windows switches to Custom.theme.

I tried changing the name of the theme to one word name, but nothing changed, also when opening "regedit" everything is correct in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes - my theme with correct name is there, that is until reboot when

Custom.theme takes its place.

I took one better screenshot if that helps: http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/5295/mythemeproblem.jpg

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Kind regards.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 6:34 PM
  • Bonovox24,

Was this a clean install of the Windows 7 RC, or did you upgrade it from the beta version?
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 1:23 AM
    Answerer
  • I get the same issue after using Remote Desktop or a program like LogMeIn. Once I log out of the remote session and then sit back down at my computer a few hours later, my custom theme is no longer in use (with my rotating background) and instead a new custom theme is being used, however the desktop background is always black. Running RC1-x64
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 5:08 AM
  • Have you used some Registry clean tool or system optimizing applications? I suspect that some system components are lost.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 5:44 AM
  • No, just the built in Disk Cleanup tool
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 5:53 AM
  • Here is some more information; I have used clean install of the Windows 7 RC 32 bit, also, it is downloaded from:

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/Windows-7/download.aspx

Haven't used any Registry clean tool or system optimizing applications, just installed antivirus, firewall, ATI drivers, web browser and e-mail client, so this

is only essential stuff to get on line and use my computer.

I have more closely observed the problem and I have to correct myself on one thing; this is happening only on shutdown, not on hibernate or sleep, but on

shutdown it happens every time, no exceptions.

Hope that helps, with regards.
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 10:45 AM
  • I suspect that your user profile is corrupt. Sometimes anti-virus programs may delete fine Registry entries by accident by any miss operation. I suggest that you create a new user account, boot with it and check if the issue still occurs. 

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Friday, May 29, 2009 7:04 AM
  • You can also run the System File Checker utility to check for missing or damaged/corrupt files.  Open an administrative command prompt and type   sfc /scannow.  Have your Windows 7 disk handy in case there are errors.
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 3:27 PM
  • Thank You for your suggestion, I have run the scan, but it didn't find any violations.

Here is the picture: http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/6936/scann.jpg

Don't really know what else to do, so I can just hope that it won't be happening in the final version.

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 8:25 PM
  • You may try to repair the system with In-place Upgrade and check the result. In the current system, insert the installation DVD and launch the installation program. Then, select Upgrade rather than Custom Install. After the upgrade finishes, your system components will be repaired.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Friday, June 5, 2009 7:09 AM
  • Arthur,

I have Windows 7 x64 (RTM), fully patched.  I have the exact same issue. On reboot the slideshow turns into a custom theme with a single image background.  The system checks fine for all the suggestions above.

Any other ideas?
    Nicolas
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 1:05 PM