Issues with the .fsd filling up RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

Situation:

• Windows 2008 ENT R2 hosts with the Hyper-V role enabled.
    • Windows 2003 R2 SP2 STD guests (5 per Hyper-V host, NO central storage).
    • Xenapp 4.5 ENT.
    • App-V VAS 4.1.3.16.
    • App-V client for terminal services 4.1.3.15.
    • Maximum size for the .fsd file is set to 26 Gb.
    • All applications are whiped and then pre-cached during nightly maintenance using the SoftgridPreload.vbs version 1.3 written by Kalle Saunamaki

We used to have all physical citrix servers. The "space used in cache" never exceeded 65% of 26 Gb. I noticed that in fact not all apps got preloaded but never really paided any attention to this.

Now what appears to happen is as follows; the server boots for maintenance. Cache gets whiped and preloaded. Cache get filled to about 65% (just like with the physical servers). Users log on to the server. Without the cache filling up to near 100% (it does grow), the .fsd grows to 26 Gb.

I'm not getting this. Why is this happening on these Hyper-V guests and does this behaviour not occur on my physical machines. To make this question as complete as I possibly can, the physical machines are Dell M610 blades and the OS is Windows 2003 R2 SP2 ENT instead of STD which is installed on the VM guests.

Has anyone seen this behaviour? Any help is appreciated. If you need any more troubleshooting information which I have neglected to mention in this post, please let me know.

--Cheers--

Siegfried

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 6:38 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Any difference in what applications are cached on the two type of machines?
    /Znack
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 4:47 PM
  • I realise the client versions between the physical and virtual machines are the same, but they are very old versions. Have you tested with a more current version of the client (e.g. 4.5 or 4.6)?
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 10:46 PM
  • I'm not sure I fully understand the issue; are you saying that the FSD file on the physical hosts does not grow to 26Gb, but the FSD file on the virtual hosts does?  

On another note, while it doesn't answer your question directly, have you thought about using a shared cache for all your Citrix/TS servers to potentially save yourself (however many servers you have -1) x 26Gb of storage?

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 10:52 AM
  • Hi Znack,

No. The applications being loaded are roughly the same.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 8:21 AM
  • Hi Aaron,

We are in the middle of upgrading App-V to version 4.6. We're not at the stage where we can test this with a newer client nor was there any need to. The issue arose somewhere last week.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 8:23 AM
  • Hi Danny.

We have been working with this set of application for well over a couple of months. The fsd on the physical servers never filled up to 100%. I introduce several Hyper-V guests, let the enduser do his/her job and after two days the fsd is completely filled up. I don't get how that is possible.

With the risk of sounding like an absolute App-V n00b....how do I configure shared cache and what are is the downside to a local cache. It is potentially a very interesting option.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 8:26 AM
  • Softgrid 4.1 was never validated for virtualization under SVVP. It would be interesting to see if this behavior repeats under the 4.5 or 4.6 RDS Client. If you find this to remain the case, I would suggest opening up a support incident with Microsoft. One of the first comparisons to investigate would be file system characteristics and differences (allocation units, SAN types, etc.)
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 10:39 PM
  • Hello All,

For now we're working around the issue by letting the fsd rebuild every night by setting the "State" value to '0'. Not the prettiest workaround but it is getting us out of the danger zone. I will post additional information once we have upgraded to 4.6.

Thanks alot for the tips and suggestions!

--Cheers--

Siegfried

Thursday, July 1, 2010 10:19 AM