Setting Default Templates for Word/PowerPoint and Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• I have looked at previous posts in these forums but have been unable to find an answer to this Question...

How do I set the default templates for users in my company so all users start with the same font when they click on a new Word 2010 document.

How do I achieve the same for Outlook 2010 so all users are using the same font when they create a new email

How do I set-up PowerPoint for all users so that they all use the same Standard template when they create a new PowerPoint slide

What files do I have to replace in a users profile to achive this? and where are they located?

Friday, August 9, 2013 9:14 AM

Answers

• Hi

Sorry for misunderstanding your issue.

To set the default template, just create a new file in the program, customize changes you want, then save your file as a template in the following path:” C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE14\XLSTART”(maybe different depends on your customization).

For detailed information about the steps, please see the following link:

http://www.excel-easy.com/examples/default-templates.html

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

This article supports Excel 2010, but it still supplies to Word 2010, Power point 2010 and Outlook 2010.

More Tips: If you don’t want show the start screen when the application starts as the behavior of previous Office version, please just cancel the option of “show the start screen when the application starts”  from File>Option>General>Start up options.

Regards

• Edited by Tylorwa Tuesday, August 13, 2013 9:35 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Tylorwa Thursday, August 15, 2013 8:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Monday, August 19, 2013 1:17 PM
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 9:31 AM

All replies

• Hi

Based on my research, we can refer to this TechNet article: Deploy custom templates in Office 2010.

Note, since this article was published "long time" ago, thus we need to modify the featured templates data from

<o:featuredtemplates startdate="2011-03-01" enddate="2013-03-01">

to

<o:featuredtemplates startdate="2013-03-01" enddate="2015-03-01">

to make it work for now.

Monday, August 12, 2013 3:17 AM
  • I can see this article,TechNet article: Deploy custom templates in Office 2010, demonstrates on how you can deploy custome templates but...

..how can I set the default template that would be used when a user launches word. Or if that user clicks on File>New>Blank document in Microsoft Word 2010

...and how can I set the default template when a user launches PowerPoint. Or if that user clicks on File>New>Blank Presentation in PowerPoint 2010

..and have a company template (with font type & size) apply when I click on a new email in Outlook 2010.

This is what I am trying to achieve. I can't see in this article how I should achieve this, Brian

• Edited by thorntonb Monday, August 12, 2013 11:40 AM
    Monday, August 12, 2013 10:56 AM
  • Hi

Sorry for misunderstanding your issue.

To set the default template, just create a new file in the program, customize changes you want, then save your file as a template in the following path:” C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE14\XLSTART”(maybe different depends on your customization).

For detailed information about the steps, please see the following link:

http://www.excel-easy.com/examples/default-templates.html

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

This article supports Excel 2010, but it still supplies to Word 2010, Power point 2010 and Outlook 2010.

More Tips: If you don’t want show the start screen when the application starts as the behavior of previous Office version, please just cancel the option of “show the start screen when the application starts”  from File>Option>General>Start up options.

Regards

• Edited by Tylorwa Tuesday, August 13, 2013 9:35 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Tylorwa Thursday, August 15, 2013 8:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Monday, August 19, 2013 1:17 PM
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 9:31 AM