Output report has no Data RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running the MAP tool on my production servers and the output report have no output data.
    I'm running the Prepare recommendation for Hyper-V.
    Running off a Windows 2003 R2 server with all required elements installed.
    The other quieries seem to be working fine.
    The server consolidation report displays
    "This report returns no data",  Utilization before virtualization says 0 for all counters, Unplaced Machine report says "No inventory Data available"

Am I doing something wrong? Or is this thing broken?

Thanks....
    Friday, November 21, 2008 6:46 PM

All replies

• Just came here looking for a solution for the same issue.  I double checked all the necessary requirements and I am convinced everything looks good.  I get data back, but I can't figure out the inventory issue.
    Friday, November 21, 2008 8:16 PM
  • Hi -

Sorry for the delay in responding.  Can you provide us with the version of MAP that you are running?  Look under Help > About Microsoft Assessment and Planning... in the toolbar.

Secondly - can you forward the following to mapfdbk@microsoft.com ?

1) The PerfMetricResults report.
    2) The ServerVirtRecommendation report.
    3) The text file you used to indicate which machines to consider for consolidation?

Thanks
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 7:20 PM
  • Thanks for sending over those files.  I know that Sanjay responded to you offline, but I'm capturing that the essence of that reply here for other community members.

=========================================

Here a couple of things we noticed.

First, MAP requires at least 6 sets of performance metrics for each machine that you are looking to include in a server consolidation scenario.  That equates to roughly 30 to 35 minutes worth of time where the performance collector is working.  In the report that you sent over, it looks like only 3 successful collections for the target machine had been completed.

A second requirement for MAP's server consolidation scenario is that WMI data for each target machine must be collected successfully.  In table 5 of the server consolidation document, it looks like that data is missing.  MAP uses WMI data such as disk size and memory when determining guest placement on hosts.

Before taking the time to collect the perf data, you may want to run the 'Identify servers to upgrade to Windows Server 2008' scenario in MAP.  Given the correct local admin password, it will quickly collect the non-performance inventory data quickly.

Once you have collected the required WMI data and enough perf metrics, the server consolidation wizard should be a breeze.

Please let us know how this turns out.

Rob
    Monday, December 1, 2008 5:26 PM