none
dpmbackup.exe -replicas DPM has run out of free recovery point space RRS feed

• Question

• Hi !

I am trying to create snapshots of the replicas using "dpmbackup.exe -replicas" to copy them to an external harddrive. Almost all of the snapshots fail with this error message:

Replica of SqlServerWriter component QAWIN/Test on server qawin.test.local: Failed. Error code = VSS_E_WRITERERROR_NONRETRYABLE DPM has run out of free recovery point space and will fail snapshots for QAWIN\Test in order to prevent existing recovery points from getting recycled.

The same goes for the Exchange Writer and the VSS_E_Writer or the HyperV VSS Writer.

So I looked at the recovery point volumes of each of the above replicas in DPM. Most of them have sooo much space left. For instance one has 1,71GB allocated and 924MB are used. This goes on for all the other recovery point volumes.

So Which volumes do I have to increase in size or is this another problem somewhere ? I suspect this is the case because I think all the replica snapshots caused this error.

We are using DPM2010 with latest hotfix rollup (as far as I know)

Thanks for your help on this !

Alex

Friday, August 19, 2011 9:50 AM

Answers

• Hi !

I have found the solution in an older forum post:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dataprotectionmanager/thread/20a4c306-ed53-4f35-b060-a2b578102763

Strange thing because we did not upgrade from Server 2008 to 2008 R2, this server was a freshly installed DPM2010 server on Windows Server 2008 R2. Still, the dpmsync.exe -sync command fixed the problem. Hope this wont be necessary again.

Bye,

Alex

• Marked as answer by alfa01 Tuesday, August 23, 2011 9:15 AM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 9:14 AM

All replies

• Hi Alex.

Please verify your VSS'es by using an elevated command prompt and write vssadmin list writers. Is all your VSS'es in a stable state?

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Monday, August 22, 2011 9:35 AM
  • Hi Robert,

All except DPM Writer were in a stable state. DPM Writer was in State 7 Failed (Non-retryable error). I then restarted DPM Writer services, after which the writer was in a stable state again. Then I reran the dpmbackup.exe -replicas command which resulted in the same error messages + afterwards the DPM Writer was in the same error state as before.

However, if I do backups from within DPM, everything works fine. strange ...

Monday, August 22, 2011 2:02 PM
  • Hi !

I have found the solution in an older forum post:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dataprotectionmanager/thread/20a4c306-ed53-4f35-b060-a2b578102763

Strange thing because we did not upgrade from Server 2008 to 2008 R2, this server was a freshly installed DPM2010 server on Windows Server 2008 R2. Still, the dpmsync.exe -sync command fixed the problem. Hope this wont be necessary again.

Bye,

Alex

• Marked as answer by alfa01 Tuesday, August 23, 2011 9:15 AM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 9:14 AM
  • I have DPM2010 running and am having issues with it eating all of my allocated space. I have purchased an external NAS unit and I want to copy all of the data from the DPM, including all recovery points, over to the NAS unit. I then want to delete the DPM jobs, drives, etc., and start over, of course having a back up on the NAS if all goes well. I have tried to use DPMBackup -db, which seems to create a file under the Shadow Copy\DatabaseBackups folder. When I run DPMbackup -replicas, it goes through all of my jobs and they all say SNAPSHOT SUCCESSFUL, yet when I go to the ShadowCopy folder, I dont see anything with the current date and time after it ran. If I run the same DPMBackup items and include TARGETLOCATION, and point it to my shared NAS drive, I get errors saying invalid location. I am walking into this DPM setup and I must say this is such a terrible solution. I would love any pointers or help to tell me A) How do I copy all of my current DPM Backed up data onto my external NAS drive, including all of the Recovery Points. B) How do I then delete my jobs to free up all of the ALLOCATED 5TB of space so that I can not be out of space.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:05 PM