Cannot install Windows Updates RRS feed

• Question

• Attempting to install KB4493473 and KB4091664 results in failure.

Due to Server 2016 update configuration, I cannot choose to defer or ignore these updates, they fail each time.

No WSUS, just regular Windows Updates

Server 2016 Standard 1607, build 14393.2828

These updates have installed successfully on our other 2016 box but I cannot see any differences between them which would interfere.

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 3:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting here.
    If you run into problems when using Windows Update, start with the following steps:

1. Run the built-in Windows Update troubleshooter to fix common issues. Navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Windows Update.
    2. Install the most recent Servicing Stack Update (SSU) that matches your version of Windows from the Microsoft Update Catalog. See Servicing stack updates for more details on SSU.
    3. Refer to the log generated by Windows Update for further investigation.

Reply back with the results would be happy to help.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 2:38 AM
  • Hi Yic, thanks for your response.

The Troubleshoot option exists on my Windows 10 machine but the problematic machine is running Server 2016 and doesn't have Troubleshoot anywhere. I've downloaded the latest SSU from the Microsoft Update Catalogue and will try to install it manually.

Also, following a reboot I'm now getting another error:

"C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Desktop is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you're connected to the network or Internet and then try again. If the location still can't be found, it might have been moved or deleted."

This server is part of a corporate domain and the user account I'm logged in with is a domain admin. I can browse to C:\Users\<user.name>\Desktop and see my files and folders there so I know the location for my user is fine. However, when I browse to C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\ there is only an AppData folder, no Desktop. Looking on a Server 2016 machine which is fine, the C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\ directory looks exactly the same: AppData folder but no Desktop folder.

I'm running SFC to see if there's any corruption of system files...

• Edited by AreJayAreEm Wednesday, May 8, 2019 2:13 PM Adding info
    Wednesday, May 8, 2019 1:52 PM
  • Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
    Wednesday, May 8, 2019 3:05 PM
  • The Troubleshoot option exists on my Windows 10 machine but the problematic machine is running Server 2016 and doesn't have Troubleshoot anywhere.

For the Server 2016 system, you can search for "Troubleshooting" in the start menu or open it by visiting "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting".

"C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Desktop is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you're connected to the network or Internet and then try again. If the location still can't be found, it might have been moved or deleted."

Refer to the workaround mentioned in this article: "Desktop Location is not available in Windows 10."

Reply back with the results would be happy to help.

Regards,
    Yic

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 9, 2019 5:29 AM
  • Hi Yic,

Running the troubleshooter has identified possible corruption in the Windows Update database but has not offered any solutions on how to fix this. It has fixed some missing/changed security settings, restored a missing or corrupt service registration and repaired some Windows Update components.

I have no idea how any of this has changed/been removed/become corrupted as we have taken no action to modify Windows Update.

I have run the command from your other post:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth

The restore operation completed successfully.

Friday, May 10, 2019 8:36 AM
  • KB4493473 is still hanging on download...
    Friday, May 10, 2019 9:25 AM
  • Hi,

Try to open the elevated CommandPrompt on this client and execute the following command to reset the distribution folder.

net stop wuauserv
    net stop cryptSvc
    net stop bits
    net stop msiserver
    ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
    ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
    net start wuauserv
    net start cryptSvc
    net start bits
    net start msiserver

Wait for the all commands to complete, close the Command Prompt.
    Then please check the update again and observe the situation.

Regards,
    Yic

Monday, May 13, 2019 3:02 AM
  • Hi Yic,

I've run the commands but am now getting an 0x80248014 error when checking for updates. Looking online it seems that the solution to this error for a lot of people has been to rename the Software Distribution folder or restart the Windows Update service but I've just done both these things.

It seems like something more fundamental with WU has broken.

Thanks for your help so far by the way.

Monday, May 13, 2019 10:05 AM
  • OK, I've also tried a PowerShell command.

PS> Get-WUInstall -AcceptAll -KBArticleID KB

I'm not sure if this has had any effect but the updates have downloaded again and are now "Preparing to install..."
    Monday, May 13, 2019 11:57 AM
  • No joy, update still failing.
    Monday, May 13, 2019 3:54 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your cooperation, too.
    I recommend that you try to download the stand-alone installation package of the update that cannot be installed, through the Microsoft® Update Catalog, check if the installation result is successful.

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards,
    Yic

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 6:16 AM
  • Yic,

I've already tried this but it failed. I ensured I had the latest Service Stack Update installed as well.

Thanks

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 7:50 AM
  • Same issue I'm having.  Using PSWindowsUpdate and have tried -MicrosoftUpdate and -WindowsUpdate flags.  Worked fine with -MicrosoftUpdate flag prior to April 2019.  When I use Updates in the Windows 2016 UI, I see...

• Edited by ak47007 Tuesday, May 14, 2019 3:01 PM
    Tuesday, May 14, 2019 2:59 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry, I didn't help you solve this problem.
    You can wait for other experts to continue to respond to this question, or you can contact Microsoft support if you need more help.

Regards,
    Yic

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 2:26 AM