One third of the COA sticker came off (was torn off (of the case)) on my computer. RRS feed

• Question

• There is other information on the sticker.  Can I get the full product key for this computer, seeing as it is tied to the computer, by giving some of that information?  It has already been paid for, I am not asking for a free copy of Windows XP Pro, it was included with this computer.

Thank you for reading, and I hope someone cares enough to find out for me.

I can PM you the information (there is a second barcode with some numbers below the first, and an 8 character code of the left-most side, aligned with the words (without quotes but on separate lines):

"Microsoft"

"Certificate of Authenticity"

Friday, January 27, 2012 11:56 PM

Answers

• For all OEM versions of Windows, you must contact the manufacturer for assistance.  The sticker is for an OEM version of Windows.

Microsoft does not provide support for OEM versions.

My response has nothing to do with "someones cares..."  It is merely a fact.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Proposed as answer by Rick Dee Sunday, January 29, 2012 7:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by OneProfessional Monday, January 30, 2012 8:56 PM
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 2:35 PM

All replies

• For all OEM versions of Windows, you must contact the manufacturer for assistance.  The sticker is for an OEM version of Windows.

Microsoft does not provide support for OEM versions.

My response has nothing to do with "someones cares..."  It is merely a fact.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Proposed as answer by Rick Dee Sunday, January 29, 2012 7:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by OneProfessional Monday, January 30, 2012 8:56 PM
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 2:35 PM
  • Thank you for answering, the reason I said "someone cares..." is because many of the responses to questions I have read on this forum were rather callous.  Yours wasn't, I appreciate it.

It is for an HP computer, and so that I can successfully argue with HP and (hopefully!) get the rest of the key, can you tell me where you found out that, for OEM versions, that the keys are controlled by the manufacturer?  How did you come to learn that "For all OEM versions of Windows, you must contact the manufacturer for assistance"?  I asked the person I spoke with for the same information, and they gave me a rehearsed response.

Monday, January 30, 2012 8:55 PM
  • I don't know for sure when and where I acquired the information, but it has been that way for a long time.  For Windows 7, for which the information has not changed, the information is @ http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/contact-support

If Windows was already installed on your computer when you purchased it, your computer manufacturer provides support for Windows.           

It is specified in the licensing area also.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:49 PM