Orphaned Virtual Switch / Need to reset hyper-v??? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am using hyper-v to remotely debug some kernel drivers inside a VM as described here https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/jj200334(v=vs.85).aspx

I created a Windows 10 Pro VM and also created a virtual switch attached to a Network interface. The virtual machine could connect to the internet/Local LAN with no problems and kernel mode debugging of my driver worked without any issues.

This all works fine, however due to incompatibilities with other software I sometimes need to disable Hyper-V, upon re-enabling Hyper-V my virtual switch was shown as disconnected, as if the interface was physically unplugged from the network, if I disabled the virtual switch and reverted back to the Host interface the internet works fine. In an attempt to fix this I probably made the problem worse, at one point the Virtual Switch Manager could not be opened saying that it was unable to enumerate the list of virtual devices.

I have two questions

1) How can I remove the virtual switch from my computer? attempting to use the switch manager resulted in the following error

Switch delete failed, switch = {GUID of Switch}: The device does not recognize the command (0x80070016).

At this point I would just like to be able to reset Hyper-V back to its default configuration and start over, if I try to disable hyper-v at this point windows reports that it is unable to make the changes and turns hyper-v back on.

2) Is their any thing I can do to avoid these problems in the future other than just leaving hyper-v enabled all the time? When I reactivated hyper-v the first time the virtual machine was fine just the virtual switch had issues

Thursday, January 21, 2016 1:20 AM

Answers

• Hi Ohduck,

>>This all works fine, however due to incompatibilities with other software I sometimes need to disable Hyper-V

Do you mean uninstall the Hyper-v role?

>>if I disabled the virtual switch

What do you mean by disable?

Before disabling Hyper-V, I suppose you should remove the virtual switch in advance.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Leo Han Friday, February 5, 2016 6:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Han Sunday, February 7, 2016 12:24 PM
    Friday, January 22, 2016 7:33 AM