Syncing to internet time servers consistently & over the long term RRS feed

• Question

• I've spent countless hours trying surfing the web and trying out possible solutions to accomplish this.  Just lately, with the relatively recent launch of Microsoft's forum site, I see that many people seem to have this problem.  The final solution that I see on many cases consists of a sequence of command line steps to active the time service on the local computer.  However, I haven't seen anything to indicate that successful synchronization with an external time source is being accomplished.  If anything, the event viewer seems to show that something is wrong.  I see several messages a day associated with W32Time, always in pairs:

1. The time provider NtpClient was unable to find a domain controller to use as a time source. NtpClient will try again in XXXX minutes.

2.  The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible.  No attempt to contact a source will be made for 239 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time.

Furthermore, I've never seen any success messages when going through the Date and Time Properties panel despite trying all the (dozen or so?) servers that I repeatedly read about in my web searching.

I keep wondering "How is it possible that a standardized protocol fails to function consistently for so many people and so many servers"?  Is it plausible for all the servers to be nonfunctional so much of the time, or is the protocol so loosely specified that it is impossible to get consistent interoperability?

I've likely tried anything which anyone can post a link to, so this is more of a polling question to see if there is any sign out there of consistent and persistent successful operation.  It would even be useful to know if it such success has been achieved in, say, Linux.  That at least might give a vague hint of whether the servers and/or protocol are the problem, or the implementation of the synchronization service in Windows (or perhaps the infeasibility of correctly using those services by users who are not subject matter experts).
    Sunday, May 15, 2011 1:48 AM

All replies

• Vegan,

Have you tried XP with that server?  I've never been able to sync to any server, including that one.  That's why I was interested in polling for people's anecdotal success.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 5:46 AM
  • If that's the case, then my problem must arise from something other than server selection.  I've tried every server that I could find information on.
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 5:15 AM
  • Hmm..can't say that I've tried that before.  Can you give me an idea of what you mean by other internet apps?  I often only have firefox, itunes, and outlook running.  However, no email account is set up on Outlook (I only use it as an organizer).  And iTunes only checks of updates occassionally.
    Friday, May 27, 2011 3:40 AM