P2V Exchange Box. All looks well but messages disappear RRS feed

• Question

• Just completed a P2V of Exchange. Everything came up nicely in general. I had to set the IP on the NIC which I fully expected. Rebooted, I can connect to mailboxes. Everything looks good.

However...

Any email that send disappears to the ether. Outbound, nternally, or even internally to self, never gets delivered. I can see both on my Outlook client and OWA messages in the outbox. I can test in Mail Flow Troubleshooter and nothing is flagged. Nothing is stuck in queue.

I am dumbfounded by this.
    Saturday, November 2, 2013 12:41 PM

Answers

• If the messages are in the Outbox and not in Sent Items, check the font of the messages in the Outbox -- are they in italic or normal font? If they're in italic font then Outlook isn't connecting to the mailbox database, or the Transport service isn't running, or the Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Assistants service isn't running (check the System Attendant Service, too). IOW, nothing's "disappearing", they were just never "sent"!

Is Outlook connected? Or is it "trying to connect" or just working in off-line mode?

Running the Exchange Best Practices Analyzer might also turn up other problems.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Monday, November 4, 2013 10:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In order to narrow down the cause, I’d like to recommend the following troubleshooting:

1. Check your application log and find if there is any error about MSExchangeMailSubmission.
    2. Confirm your connection status in the right bottom of Outlook when the issue exists.
    3. Please double confirm if there is some Exchange service about mail flow(Transport, mail submission, etc ) not starting in the tool services.

Thanks,

Angela

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, November 4, 2013 1:57 PM
  • If the messages are in the Outbox and not in Sent Items, check the font of the messages in the Outbox -- are they in italic or normal font? If they're in italic font then Outlook isn't connecting to the mailbox database, or the Transport service isn't running, or the Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Assistants service isn't running (check the System Attendant Service, too). IOW, nothing's "disappearing", they were just never "sent"!

Is Outlook connected? Or is it "trying to connect" or just working in off-line mode?

Running the Exchange Best Practices Analyzer might also turn up other problems.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Monday, November 4, 2013 10:34 PM