Cannot view SSRS 2008 R2 Reports in Safari/Chrome but works fine in FireFox/IE8… why? RRS feed

• Question

• (I know "similar" questions have been asked in but there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer.)

I have some simple reports in SSRS 2008 R2 but they won't display at all in Safari or Chrome. According to Microsoft's Books Online, these browsers are supported in limited fashion. However, I can't see anything after the data "Loading" clock completes. The parameter bar and bread crumb navigation section at the top of the page are all there. Also, I can Save/Export to any format on Safari and Chrome. It just won't display the report section itself, which is just blank. I know the similarity for these two browsers is they both are based on WebKit.

Am I suppose to use certificates and secured connections (currently not setup with https, only http)? Are there any server side configurations that need to be tweaked? Has anyone had success displaying ANY reports on Safari/Chrome using previous SSRS versions (2005)?

I'm using:
    Reporting Services 10.50.1600.1 (Enterprise Edition); Safari 5.0.4; and Chrome 10.0.648.151.

The report renders successfully on IE8 (of course) and FireFox 4.0.

Would really appreciate it if someone can shed some light.

Thanks in advance. - Greg

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 5:44 AM

All replies

• Hi Greg,

From your description, I can reproduce the scenario. Currently, Safari and Chrome are not fully supported. Since it is a product limitation of Reporting Services, you can submit a feedback at https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/, your feedback is valuable for us to improve our products and increase the level of service provided.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Bin Long

• Marked as answer by Tony Chain Monday, April 11, 2011 12:41 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by ghwin Friday, April 29, 2011 9:29 PM
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 1:32 AM
  • Hi Bin,

I realized that Safari/Chrome are not fully supported, suggesting that they are somewhat supported, as stated in the MSDN documents. However, I could not get it working AT ALL. It should at least show something, right? Is there something different with SSRS 2008 R2? Do you guys have any workaround? I really need to get this to work on Safari.

Thanks in advance.

Greg H.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 8:02 AM
  • CSS Based System Wide Solution

This requires no javascript or Ajax frames or any other wrapper. Tested on IE, Firefox, Safari and Chrome.

This can be fixed at the Style Sheet level in Report Server.

First, navigate to the directory where reporting services is installed, in my case (MSSQL 2012SP1) it is:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS11.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\ReportServer

In that directory, you will find a file named reportserver.config

In that file insert a single XML line like: (from the above document)

<Configuration>
              <HTMLViewerStyleSheet>SafariChromeFix</HTMLViewerStyleSheet>
    </Configuration>

Save that.

What they don't tell you in the above link is that this entry overrides the default style sheet completely. My first attempts to get the reports to render worked by adding a div stylesheet, everything else was broken. Once I figured out that this edit to the reporserver.config file didn’t augment but actually replaces the default style sheet, I copied in the default style sheet and everything started working.

Next, descend into the Styles directory (C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS11.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\ReportServer\Styles)

Make a copy the file named SP_Full.css and name the copy SafariChromeFix.css. At this point, SafariChromeFix.css should be identical to SP_Full.css.

Edit SafariChromeFix.css and add the following lines to the "border-bottom:0px;text-align:left;border-padding-bottom:5px;text-transform:none;background-color:#eeeeee;text-indent:0px;margin:0px 0px 10px;padding-width:auto;padding-right:5px;font:14px/18px Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, 'Lucida Console', 'Liberation Mono', 'DejaVu Sans Mono', 'Bitstream Vera Sans Mono', 'Courier New', monospace, serif;letter-spacing:normal;color:#000000;max-height:600px;vertical-align:baseline;border-border-right:0px;word-spacing:0px;padding--webkit-text-stroke-width:0px;">div { }

Save it.

Once this is saved, all of the existing reports on this instance of Reporting Services will render on all browsers including Chrome and Safari.

Please Note:

It’s not only possible, but extremely likely that reportserver.config will be overwritten with updates to reporting services, so you may have to add the<HTMLViewerStyleSheet>SafariChrome</HTMLViewerStyleSheet> tag into it over time.

This also gives us a place to break into the default style sheet and make a lot of other custom changes starting from something that is already working. And since it's not the default stylesheet, your new custom css file doesn't get overwritten during upgrades and patches.

I'm working with Microsoft to see if there is a way to not have to directly edit reportserver.config. I'll update here if I get that answer.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 6:22 PM