Unable to open shortcuts from start menu. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm currently working on our Windows 7 Deployment that we are planning to start rolling out this summer but came across a strange problem. Members of a particular security group (Students) are unable to open programs from the Windows 7 start menu when they log on, when I click on it nothing happens. But if I leave it for 10 minutes after logging on then it works.

The Staff and Students have separate network start menus set by folder redirection. At first I thought it could be a Group Policy issue and copied the Staff Group Policies and adjusted where it reads the Start Menu from and that did not work. I have checked share and security permissions on the server where the start menus are read form; they appear to be the same.

Does anyone have any ideas as I'm well and truly lost?
    Friday, June 18, 2010 10:26 AM

Answers

• Thanks for your reply. It turns out to be an obscure setting in Group Policy and discussed this with my Network Manager. He has agreed to let me redo the policies from scratch as what we have in place was devised from a Windows 2000/XP template provided by MSFT so has all sorts of settings that we don't really need these days.

So for us here it's best to start again with a totally clean slate :-)

• Marked as answer by StevenNT Friday, June 25, 2010 10:22 AM
    Friday, June 25, 2010 10:08 AM

All replies

• Can you narrow down the time it takes to work?

Reboot and try in 5, then half the difference from there to ...

Then look at your event logs and see what's happening at t=x and look for an answer.

Please come back and let us know how you make out.

Sunday, June 20, 2010 8:18 PM
  • Thanks for your reply. It turns out to be an obscure setting in Group Policy and discussed this with my Network Manager. He has agreed to let me redo the policies from scratch as what we have in place was devised from a Windows 2000/XP template provided by MSFT so has all sorts of settings that we don't really need these days.

So for us here it's best to start again with a totally clean slate :-)

• Marked as answer by StevenNT Friday, June 25, 2010 10:22 AM
    Friday, June 25, 2010 10:08 AM
  • could you please let us know which group policy setting?
    Monday, August 2, 2010 5:49 AM
  • I never worked it out, I just knew it was some setting somewhere was causing the problem and starting again workedout fine. Sorry I could not provide a clearer answer.
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 1:11 PM