Red bars on startup, dots on desktop. Not monitor, not graphics card? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently downloaded what I thought was a virus onto my computer (running Vista). I downloaded a tv p2p program named veetle from their site, and it made my computer hang up on startup. I have this program running fine on another computer, so I'm not sure if I actually got this problem from the download, or if the timing was just a coincidence.

Anyhoo, I couldn't get it to boot up. Eventually I threw in the windows disk. I tried to use the repair function initially. It ran fine, but after saying it had to restart the system, it hung up again on startup. So, I just reinstalled windows. I've got the system up and running, but a weird problem developed.

On startup as it cycles through the boot screens, there are red bars everywhere. Once I get to the windows desktop there are a bunch of red dots on the screen. When I turn the resolution up, a lot more of them appear. I am pretty much at a loss of what is going on. I have reinstalled the graphics drivers, swapped out the card for another graphics card, but not luck so far. It seems like it should be a hardware issue at this point, but if it's not the graphics card I'm pretty lost.

Also, it's not the monitor because there are no red pixels in BIOS.

Thanks for reading, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sunday, August 22, 2010 5:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for the post!

The red bars and dots you described seem like the hardware issue, I recommend you contact your computer’s manufacture.

In addition, this Windows 7 Forum are focused on answering usage-related questions about Window 7, since you are running Windows Vista, this forum http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsvistaitpro is more efficient to resolve your problems and you may find communities who encounter the same problem as yours.

Thanks for your understanding!

Best Regards,

Miya Yao

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Tuesday, August 31, 2010 3:01 AM
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 2:37 AM