Word 2010 move or shift cell contents to next row RRS feed

• Question

• We created a calendar in Word 2010 using tables. I would like to know if there is a way to copy or move all the contents in each cell over to the next one?

For example, here is a screen shot of my calendar:

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l625/efc_cox/Office%202010%20Standard/Word_2010_Calendar.jpg

I would like to select everything in the cell from Mon-Friday in this month and move it one day to the next. So far the only way I can think of doing this is by copying and pasting one by one or re-typing everything over again.

Is there a better way to do this?

Thank you! 

• Edited by EFC_Tech Thursday, May 26, 2011 10:36 PM clearification
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:37 PM

Answers

• There's a slightly better way -- you can move one entire week's row at a time.

Select all the cells from Monday through Friday in one week. Click the Cut button or press Ctrl+X to put the selected material on the clipboard and remove it from the display. Move the cursor into the Tuesday cell, and click the Paste button or press Ctrl+V. That will put the material from the clipboard into the cells for Tuesday through Saturday.

Repeat for the other weeks.

Select a Saturday cell, cut it to the clipboard, move the cursor to the following Monday, and paste. Repeat for the other Saturdays.

If you intended to move only the schedule information and not the day numbers, you'll have to go back and retype the day numbers into their original positions.

If this is something you need to do many times, it might be worth writing a macro to do it, but it would take some up-front effort to make sure it takes into account any variations that might appear in all your calendars.

Jay Freedman
    MS Word MVP  FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Monday, June 6, 2011 6:10 AM
    Friday, May 27, 2011 11:58 PM

All replies

• There's a slightly better way -- you can move one entire week's row at a time.

Select all the cells from Monday through Friday in one week. Click the Cut button or press Ctrl+X to put the selected material on the clipboard and remove it from the display. Move the cursor into the Tuesday cell, and click the Paste button or press Ctrl+V. That will put the material from the clipboard into the cells for Tuesday through Saturday.

Repeat for the other weeks.

Select a Saturday cell, cut it to the clipboard, move the cursor to the following Monday, and paste. Repeat for the other Saturdays.

If you intended to move only the schedule information and not the day numbers, you'll have to go back and retype the day numbers into their original positions.

If this is something you need to do many times, it might be worth writing a macro to do it, but it would take some up-front effort to make sure it takes into account any variations that might appear in all your calendars.

Jay Freedman
    MS Word MVP  FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Monday, June 6, 2011 6:10 AM
    Friday, May 27, 2011 11:58 PM
  • Hi,

Since there is a period of time without any respond, I will  temporary mark the reply as answer to closed this thread.

And if you come back to find it doesn't work for you, please reply to us and unmark the answer, this thread will be re-opened.

Sincerely,
    Max Meng

Sincerely,
    Max Meng

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Monday, June 6, 2011 6:10 AM