none
Out Of Office Rule not Forwarding mail?

Question

• Our Organization has 2 email accounts for everyone. 

user@companyA.com and user@companyB.com

All mail sent to user@companyB.com is forwarded to user@companyA.com, no mail is left in the Inbox of user@companyb.com

When they Turn on Out Of Office for user@companyA.com they also setup a Rule that says any message Addresses Specifically to user@companyA.com, deliver the email to insidesales@companyA.com.

Sending an email to user@companyA.com then gets forwarded to insidesales@companyA.com.

sending an email to user@companyB.com does not get sent to insidesales@companyA.com

If we setup the Out Of Office for user@companyb.com Account and they also setup a Rule that says any message Addresses Specifically to user@companyB.com, deliver the email to insidesales@companyA.com.

sending an email to user@companyB.com does not get sent to insidesales@companyA.com.

Looking at the Message Tracking I can't see the forwarding rule getting fired for the user@companyB.com OOF. 

This happens for a group of people. When I do it on my own, it works fine. 

Friday, December 16, 2016 8:58 PM

Answers

• I think I figured it out. 

The emails to user@companyB.com that are being forwarded to user@companyA.com are never landing in the user@companyB.com mailbox since they are automatically forwarded to user@companyA.com

user@companyA.com's Out Of Office is set to Forward Messages 'sent only to me' Well the message that was sent to user@companyB.com is not sent to user@companyA.com, so its never forwarded.

We ended up creating 2 rules. One that forwards messages sent to: user@companyB.com and one that Forward Messages 'sent only to me'.

This seems to be working.  The Out Of Office for user@companyB.com is never reached.  Makes it hard to have a Message in the OOO saying that me from Company A to Company B is not available. )-:

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 5:01 PM

All replies

• Please provide exact and complete details of the rules.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Saturday, December 17, 2016 6:59 AM
  • user@companyB.com is Forwarded to user@companyA.com from the server:

Set-Mailbox -ForwardingAddress 'user@companyA.com' -DeliverToMailboxAndForward $true -Identity 'user@companyB.com'

The Out Of Office Rules for user@companyA.com are

Any Message Addressed Only To Me

Forward to: insidesales@companyA.com

The Out Of Office Rules for user@companyB.com are

Any Message Addressed Only To Me

Forward to: insidesales@companyA.com

Saturday, December 17, 2016 9:21 PM
  • What do you mean by a "group of people"?

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Sunday, December 18, 2016 7:22 AM
  • It happens for more than one person. They all happen to be our inside sales team. When I set it up on my own outlook mail seems to forward just fine. I tried forwarding to a group that I'm a member of too. Worked for me. Though my mail forwarded it was inconsistent if it actually sent out the OOO reply to the sender.
    Sunday, December 18, 2016 4:02 PM
  • You might want to see what might be different for them in the way they're set up.

Monday, December 19, 2016 6:41 AM
  • They are setup pretty much the same as everyone else. They are in Different groups, but the account itself is the same as everyone.  

How can I test this in the Mail-flow troubleshooter or something? When the message comes in, its just not forwarding. 

Or why would the message to user@companyB.com not forward to the group from the forward rule on user@companyA.com?

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 4:18 PM
  • I think I figured it out. 

The emails to user@companyB.com that are being forwarded to user@companyA.com are never landing in the user@companyB.com mailbox since they are automatically forwarded to user@companyA.com

user@companyA.com's Out Of Office is set to Forward Messages 'sent only to me' Well the message that was sent to user@companyB.com is not sent to user@companyA.com, so its never forwarded.

We ended up creating 2 rules. One that forwards messages sent to: user@companyB.com and one that Forward Messages 'sent only to me'.

This seems to be working.  The Out Of Office for user@companyB.com is never reached.  Makes it hard to have a Message in the OOO saying that me from Company A to Company B is not available. )-:

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 5:01 PM
  • You probably can check in Exchange Admin Console --> Org Config --> Hub Transport --> Remote Domains --> Message Format and check to see if "Allow Automatic Forward" is checked. If not on both Exchange environments, that's the reason why it is not firing your forwarding rule. This option is turned off by default to prevent eternal loops of emails and spams.
    Wednesday, December 21, 2016 5:08 PM
  • There is only the one Exchange Server, we just have Multiple Company Names that we are using on it. 

On the Exchange Server it is checked for all Domains. 

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 5:12 PM
  • Hi Scooter,

Glad to hear you solved the issue and thanks for sharing.

By the way, do you mind mark your solution as an answer? this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well. 

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 22, 2016 2:44 AM