"Windows Explorer has stopped responding" -HP Vista RRS feed

• Question

• I have an HP tx2000 notebook, running Vista. After my computer has been on for a while, the entire taskbar becomes unresponsive, promted by either clicking the windows start button, or any program name on the taskbar itself, or by pressing the quickplay buttons physically located on the right side of the screen, or the volume +/-/mute buttons on the body of the laptop, above the f1 f2 and f3 keys.

I attempted to install this update: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932406/en-us but after validating my computer and clicking download, I was told that it does not apply to my system, and did not dl or install.

Someone else suggested it was a component of quicktime, so I uninstalled all of quicktime, to no effect.

I can still work in opened programs, and switch between open programs using alt+tab (although the alt+tab view of my open windows in reminiscent of WIN97) but I can not click on my taskbar, or use any functions of the volume/quickplay buttons. When I mouseover the taskbar, I get the 'working' spinning circle cursor.After furiously clicking on the taskbar, I get an error message that pops up and says that Windows Explorer is not responding, would I like to A) Wait for the program to respond B) close the program or C) restart the program. Waiting for Explorer does nothing. Spinning circle continues. Closing or restarting the program prompts windows to search for solutions, although it hasn't found any to date, and takes forever. I usually now just click through and stop that step.

After explorer restarts, if I attempt to immediately click on the task bar or volume/quickplay buttons again, it repeats the freeze. If I wait a while (I have not timed it every time, but ten minutes is about right) I can them click on the taskbar. Clicking the volume/quickplay buttons before clicking on the taskbar still leads to it freezing up again.

After it becomes unresponsive the first time, it will continue to do so with increasing frequency until I shut down my computer and then start it again.

Any ideas?

Sunday, December 5, 2010 4:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You may take the following steps to troubleshoot this issue:

1. Please reboot the computer in Clean Boot to check the result.

2. Run antivirus program and perform a full scanning in Safe Mode.

3. Run ShellExView

------------------------------------

1). Download ShellExView v1.41 from the following link http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.zip

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2). Right-click the "shexview.zip" file, select "Extract All", the Extraction Wizard will prompt.

3). Click Next, input "C:\ShellExView" (without the quotation marks) in the "Files will be extracted to this directory" textbox.

4). Click Next and click Finnish.

5). Open the "C:\ShellExView" folder and double-click the "shexview.exe" file. It will scan the registry for all the shell extensions.

6). Select all the non-Microsoft extensions in pink by press "Ctrl" in the keyboard.

7). Click the "Disable Selected Items" on the toolbar and click Yes.

8). Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Monday, December 13, 2010 7:36 AM
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 6:07 AM