none
storage disk no longer contains replica. listed as unallocated space RRS feed

• Question

• On my secondary DPM, i had two drives go foreign.  i have a dell PE1950 with a perc6e card connected to a 12 drive array 12x1TB drives in raid 6.

in a raid utiity, i imported the foreign config and the array rebuilt.  however, in disk management, disk 1 shows as two unallocated spaces.  a 2TB part and a 7TB part.  in the raid utility, the virtual disk shows as one 9TB drive.

i ran a dpmsync -reallocatereplica, but the process goes not responding.

I ran a dpmsync -sync and it completed

i reran dpmsync -reallocatereplica but it crashes again.

Unhandled Exception: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800706BE): T
    he remote procedure call failed. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BE)
       at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 e
    rrorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Engine.CProxyUtils.HandleErrors(I
    nt32 hr, tagSAFEARRAY* exceptionResult)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Engine.RestoreDbSyncServicesProxy
    .RestoreDbSynchronize(Boolean reallocateReplica, Boolean* isExternalVolumeMissin
    g)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Engine.CoreServicesProxy.RestoreD
    bSynchronize(Boolean reallocateReplica, Boolean& isExternalVolumeMissing)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.RestoreDbSync.RestoreDbSync.SyncF
    unction(Boolean reallocateReplica, Boolean& isExternalVolumeMissing)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.RestoreDbSync.RestoreDbSync.Main(
    String[] args)

is there a way to recoved my replicas without data lost, or would it be best to "start from scratch"

Ian

Ian

Friday, August 17, 2012 1:17 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Since the hardware array reinitialized and the disk is now all unallocated spaace, the dynamic disk information is most likely toast.  Since the disk a >2TB, you must first convert it GPT disk before adding it back to the DPM storage pool so the dynamic disk can be fully utilized. 

Closing for house cleaning purposes - open a new thread if you still require assistance.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, September 1, 2012 7:28 PM