none
Cannot update Windows 10 Enterprise Beyond Version 10240

Question

• Experiencing a frustrating dilemma here.

We are a fully licensed KMS environment for Windows 10 Enterprise.  There are some machines in our fleet that need to go directly from Windows 7 64-bit to Windows 10 Enterprise in order to preserve existing programs.  So far, we have been able to use the setup files from a disc we have with Build 10240.  The migration seems to be okay until we run Windows Updates.  It doesn't detect the need to go any further, so we can't get feature, security, and other updates to get these computers up to snuff.

The Media Creation Tool does not apply as it only works for Home, Pro, and Education versions.  I tried to download the Evaluation Enterprise version that contains the 1607 feature set.  However, when running the setup, I can't select the option to "Keep personal files and apps."  The only option is "Nothing" because, according to the setup, the edition trying to be installed is different then what we're using.  Obviously, this defeats the purpose of our intention.

Is there any way to get Windows 10 Enterprise to correct itself and get the necessary patches without having to rebuild our specialty machines?

Monday, March 20, 2017 3:13 PM

All replies

• I tried to download the Evaluation Enterprise version that contains the 1607 feature set.  However, when running the setup, I can't select the option to "Keep personal files and apps."  The only option is "Nothing" because, according to the setup, the edition trying to be installed is different then what we're using.  Obviously, this defeats the purpose of our intention.

Hi ,

Based on your description, you have upgraded to Windows 10 version 10240. But, are you running Windows 10 enterprise edition?
    If not, you need to upgrade to Windows 10 enterprise edition at first. The following link shows the methods and paths available to change the edition of Windows 10 that is running on your computer.
    Windows 10 edition upgrade
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/deploy/windows-10-edition-upgrades?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 8:52 AM
  • We upgraded from Windows 7 64-bit Professional directly to Windows 64-bit Enterprise 10240 and Windows Update will not go any further, not to 1511 or 1607.  

I am in the process of trying the following trick...

- Change some Reg keys containing the word "Enterprise" to "Professional"

- Installing a licensed 10240 Windows 10 Professional overtop the Windows 10 Enterprise

- Changing the license key back to KMS Enterprise

As of now, the computer is at Professional 1511 and should be on track to get to 1607.  This should correct the issue and will hopefully help others

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 2:41 PM
  • Hi ,

I may have misunderstood at first. Anyway, glad to hear that you have found a solution to correct the issue. Thanks for sharing your solutions and experience. Now, please "mark it as answer" to close the case. It will help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 8:22 AM