none
DPM 2016 Protection of VM DC always fails vss writer ntds failed with status 11 and writer specific failure code 0x800423f4 RRS feed

• Question

• I am protecting a S2D cluster with DPM 2016.  All VM's expect a 2012 R2 DC VM work fine,  The vss writer ntds always fails with the status 11 and writer specific failure code 0x800423f4. I have rebooted installed and removed windows server backup check the integration services.  Restated services etc I am at a loss below are the log entries from the DPM server and VM.  Any ideas?

DPM

The replica of Th-VM\DC1 on .local is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. (ID: 3106)
    An unexpected error occurred while the job was running. (ID: 104)

DC

Event 8229, VSS

A VSS writer has rejected an event with error 0x800423f4, The writer experienced a non-transient error.  If the backup process is retried,
    the error is likely to reoccur.
    . Changes that the writer made to the writer components while handling the event will not be available to the requester. Check the event log for related events from the application hosting the VSS writer.

Operation:
       PostSnapshot Event

Context:
       Execution Context: Writer
       Writer Class Id: {b2014c9e-8711-4c5c-a5a9-3cf384484757}
       Writer Name: NTDS
       Writer Instance ID: {e65b57d4-3d17-409f-bf44-7837a8f76238}
       Command Line: C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe
       Process ID: 172

lsass (172) An attempt to open the file "\\?\Volume{a0200547-c535-11e2-93ec-806e6f6e6963}\Windows\NTDS\ntds.dit" for read only access failed with system error 32 (0x00000020): "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. ".  The open file operation will fail with error -1032 (0xfffffbf8).

Thursday, February 8, 2018 7:43 PM

Answers

• housekeeping - closing old post.

The first steps in troubleshooting would be to try making a systemstate backup to see if the NTDS writer throws the same error.

From administrative command prompt run:  wbadmin.exe start systemstatebackup -backuptarget:C:

If that also has the problem (I suspect it will) then open a new post in the Windows Server backup forum.

As a workaround, you can uncheck the hyper-v integration component option:  backup (volume shadow copy) for that VM and that will allow a DPM backup to succeed - however it will be crash consistent and not application consistent.

Regards
    Mike Jacquet

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 11:02 PM