Old read emails return to unread in certain email threads with new replies RRS feed

• Question

• I'm supporting a couple people who are experiencing similar, although different issues with Outlook.

Person 1 has a small inbox, say less than 4000 total messages, and uses the Outlook app on her iPhone. From time to time, once a day when she logs in, she will see emails she has previously replied to or read go back to unread in her inbox. It's only from certain senders, and I was unable to recreate this error using our work email, and personal emails from yahoo, gmail and a separate university system email address. She can be copied on an email that she never even replies to, and she will see all of the emails in that chain go back to unread status. At present this is occurring for emails chains as far back as early July 2017. At one point it appeared this was only happening to emails that she had previously flagged and then marked completed. After a time however, it was determined that it could potentially happen to any email she had previously read.

I've removed Outlook from her phone to try to isolate the issue to OWA and Outlook, but she still sees the error, but only with a few people.

Person 2 is a long time employee and has a very big inbox, something like 190000 items total on her account, I had our sysadmin check that. Her total account size is approx 14gb. She has many folders and emails ranging back to 2008 and she needs to keep many of them due to university reporting issues. In short, we can't just delete everything and start over.

She has a similar experience to Person 1 but she uses the email app on her iPhone. I also had her download the Outlook Web App on her iphone but she has not started to use it. Person 2 is reluctant to remove the email from her iPhone email application because we haven't been successful fixing Person 1's issue by removing mobile device access. I'm having her remove some of the 80000 sent emails today, but that was proving very time consuming and she said she would work on it throughout the day.

Things they both share in common:

• Both use Outlook 2016
    • New emails coming in to continuous email threads sometimes cause very old read messages in the thread to return to unread.
    • This issue cannot be replicated in the 3 weeks we've been troubleshooting
    • This only happens once a day, so each step takes us a full 24hrs to try a fix
    • Both are on Online mode. (Person 1 was switched to cached mode for 48hrs, it did not help and was switched back today)
    • They work in the same office and are copied on some of the same emails but not all.

Searches I've done thus far reference problems with Gmail and Outlook, but this is on an Exchange server. Any suggestions for troubleshooting would be appreciated. Person 1 I cleared her Outlook cache and had it rebuild overnight which appeared to fix the problem for 2 days, but then the problem recurred. 

Tuesday, September 5, 2017 12:45 PM

All replies

• Hi James,

Have you tried testing within Outlook safe mode? To do this, press Windows key + R to open the Run command, type outlook /safe and press Enter. This will help determine whether this issue was caused by third-party add-ins.

Do you have any antivirus program installed? The antivirus program always integrate itself into Outlook, which could then cause unexpected issues. If any is installed, please also contact the support of the program and then disable the integration and then see whether this issue continuous.

In addition, is it possible to configure the problematic email account on another computer? If so, please also try testing it on another computer and then see whether you see the same behavior.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Thursday, September 7, 2017 9:57 AM
    Wednesday, September 6, 2017 9:13 AM
  • Those are all great suggestions that I have not tried yet. We have removed her email account from her iPhone, and are giving it some time to see what happens there. I will report back with the results soon.
    Wednesday, September 6, 2017 9:12 PM
  • Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 7, 2017 9:56 AM