Export MOSS list and import to multiple MOSS sites. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a document library with content that I want to use on other sites. I saved the document library with content to a template but don't want to have to import to each site individually. How do I import this document library template to multiple sites at one time? Thanks.
    Monday, December 6, 2010 5:59 PM

Answers

• I take it you want the different users of each site to do different things with the documents? Otherwise this seems very redundant and unnecessary. 

If you have a developer on staff...

If you want to go the route of putting it on every single site you could write a power shell script or a simple console app (or even a SharePoint feature!) that could do the import for you since the gallery should essentially just be a list.

Another thing you could do if you want to continue to deploy this document library... I would highly recommend creating a List Definition that automatically includes the default documents in it. You could then write a console app that turns on the feature on all existing sites, and then if you wanted to, staple the feature to existing site templates so that the feature is automatically activated upon creation of new sites.

If you don't have a developer on staff...

Following up with what Mike said, you might be stuck doing it by hand.

• Marked as answer by dou2ble Wednesday, December 8, 2010 7:28 PM
    Monday, December 6, 2010 8:26 PM
  • I used a PS script to export the list from the site collecitons list template and then imported it to all subsites in the portal. It achieved what I was trying to do. Thanks.
    • Marked as answer by dou2ble Wednesday, December 8, 2010 7:35 PM
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 7:34 PM

All replies

• Unless you have a hundred or so sites you want to use this site template in (which seems very unlikely), I'd just add it by hand where you want it.

The only alternative I can think of is if there is a stsadm statement that adds lists via templates. I don't think there is one, but that's where I'd look.

(Less than 10 I wouldn't bother looking. More than 10 and I'd wonder about the site design and/or whether you wouldn't be better using a *site* template as your model for re-use.)

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Monday, December 6, 2010 6:04 PM
  • It is in the hundreds and it's to update existing libraries. Don't want to lose any content in the sites though and this is why we're doing just the list.
    Monday, December 6, 2010 6:12 PM
  • I take it you want the different users of each site to do different things with the documents? Otherwise this seems very redundant and unnecessary. 

If you have a developer on staff...

If you want to go the route of putting it on every single site you could write a power shell script or a simple console app (or even a SharePoint feature!) that could do the import for you since the gallery should essentially just be a list.

Another thing you could do if you want to continue to deploy this document library... I would highly recommend creating a List Definition that automatically includes the default documents in it. You could then write a console app that turns on the feature on all existing sites, and then if you wanted to, staple the feature to existing site templates so that the feature is automatically activated upon creation of new sites.

If you don't have a developer on staff...

Following up with what Mike said, you might be stuck doing it by hand.

• Marked as answer by dou2ble Wednesday, December 8, 2010 7:28 PM
    Monday, December 6, 2010 8:26 PM
  • Just another thought... are the users going to have access to modify the content of this since you are including content? If no, I would recommend using maybe a Data View or Content Query Web Part if at all possible OR maybe even just linking them to that list from the sites you wanted to do the import on.

Monday, December 6, 2010 8:29 PM
  • > I would recommend using maybe a Data View or Content Query Web Part

Yes, that's the way this (in most cases) ought to be done.

However (apart from my only thinking about the actual question - a typical blunder I know) that will only be of any use if the users all have access to the actual document library containing the documents.

I was assuming (well if I'd assumed anything) that these were all complely different sites perhaps even on different servers and then adding the doc lib from a template might be the only option (apart from your developer options).

But 100+ of different servers does seem rather unlikely.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Monday, December 6, 2010 8:41 PM
  • Thanks Guys. What I got right now is a PS script. Only problem is that it pushes it to all sites by the root, but I'd like to specify subsites.
    Monday, December 6, 2010 9:36 PM
  • Are you just importing it into the list template gallery or are you also creating an instance of the document library? If all you are doing is the list template gallery then I think we might be stuck with this approach since there is no list template gallery at the sub site level. 

To accomplish what you are looking for you would have to create a feature and scope it to "Web" and then you could activate the feature using a PS script or something of the sorts on the sites you want to deploy it to.

If you are actually trying to create instances of the document library, the root site you are already using should have a collection of web objects that you can then go down into to perform the desired actions.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 5:22 PM
  • I used a PS script to export the list from the site collecitons list template and then imported it to all subsites in the portal. It achieved what I was trying to do. Thanks.
    • Marked as answer by dou2ble Wednesday, December 8, 2010 7:35 PM
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 7:34 PM