Disable "optimize this folder for..." RRS feed

• Question

• How do i do that?
    Despite me setting every location to "General Items" including subfolders Windows will sometimes (= way too often) set specific folders to something else on its own.
    While i appreciate the intent in theory i hate how it messes with my folder layout. (I want it to look exactly like that ; not change every other folder, Windows!)

So my question is: How do i disable the automatic folder-optimization?

(Note that i dont want the menu point to disappear or something. I want to disable the feature behind it.)
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 6:21 PM

Answers

• The issue seems to have been fixed now.

Here's what i did:

Regedit.exe
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell

New -> String Value "FolderType " -> Data "NotSpecified "
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, August 18, 2009 1:41 AM
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 12:50 AM

All replies

• Windows forgets or does not set your folder size.
    Here's a hack to do it.
    http://www.redmondpie.com/fix-for-windows-vista-forgetting-folder-view-settings/
    After that choose any folder (not drive) resize it and they should all be the same.
    • Edited by ONE ZERO Sunday, August 9, 2009 8:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Tuesday, August 11, 2009 1:47 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Domochevsky Sunday, August 16, 2009 9:57 PM
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 7:00 PM
  • Hm ok, this did not help the issue. At all.
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 9:57 PM
  • If you look at the last post in Easiest way to get Details view everywhere?, there are some suggestions you could try.
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 10:10 PM
  • I checked that one out... sadly it didnt tell me anything new or workable. :/
    The thing is that it does this mostly with new folders with content. Say, from unpacking a zip file or downloading a website.
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 10:14 PM

Here's what i did:

Regedit.exe
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, August 18, 2009 1:41 AM
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 12:50 AM

Here's what i did:

Regedit.exe

Thanks.  That worked without any issues.  I agree with what was said about not wanting Microsoft to mess with (and most often than not, screw up) features that worked fine in older versions of Windows... of course, I'm speaking of Windows XP since that was the best version of Windows to be released so far (yes, that includes Windows 7 in the statement even though Windows 7 is good for the most part).  I wish people (and Microsoft in specific) would just leave things alone if they're working already.
    Saturday, March 26, 2011 11:49 AM
  • Thanks so much for that solution; like you, I hate that Win7 Explorer keeps trying to force its choices for file display (among other things) on me!  The arrogance of whomever wrote/approved the code for that feature without providing users with a direct option (i.e. a checkbox, droplist, radio button or other control, rather than having to resort to a reghack) to disable it is astounding - one of the many reasons I'm moving to LinuxMint for everything for which I absolutely don't need Windows (especially now that the end of support for WinXP is on the horizon).  It's infuriating that the Redmond Gang insist on forcing their terrible aesthetics and choices onto me while continuing to erode the features and options that I prefer; but thanks to you, at least this is one "feature" with which I won't have to keep fighting.
    • Edited by S.R. Gordon Thursday, March 14, 2013 12:16 AM
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 12:11 AM
  • Thanks so much for that solution; like you, I hate that Win7 Explorer keeps trying to force its choices for file display (among other things) on me!  The arrogance of whomever wrote/approved the code for that feature without providing users with a direct option (i.e. a checkbox, droplist, radio button or other control, rather than having to resort to a reghack) to disable it is astounding - one of the many reasons I'm moving to LinuxMint for everything for which I absolutely don't need Windows (especially now that the end of support for WinXP is on the horizon).  It's infuriating that the Redmond Gang insist on forcing their terrible aesthetics and choices onto me while continuing to erode the features and options that I prefer; but thanks to you, at least this is one "feature" with which I won't have to keep fighting.
    Pretty much says it all, it's like having to hack a mop to get the water out. THE ALREADY FUNCTIONING LEVER ON THE MOP WAS FINE YOU MORONS! DO NOT THINK FOR ME EVER WINDOWS. Or at least if you insist on arbitrarily choosing things & "optimizing" things for fellow nitwits give me a "NO WINDOWS, DONT F**KING THINK EVER!!" checkbox to stop this perpetual flow of idiotic forced changes to my preferences. I selected the view I want. I want that view for EVERYTHING. Now STFU windows & go to hell.
    Monday, May 5, 2014 10:09 PM
  • Thank you! This works on Windows 10 as well.
    Thursday, September 20, 2018 3:32 PM