EMC client side monitoring RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone found or put together an MP for monitoring EMC SAN connected hosts?  I'm specifically looking for monitoring of Powerpath, Navishphere and SRDF/CE and their associated connected disk volumes.

Thanks
    Dean
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 10:57 PM

Answers

• I found one for MOM 2005 at http://www.ms-systemcenter.com/MOM_Tools_Links_EN.htm that could be used as a template if you need to create one for ops mgr 2007. Have you contact EMC and asked if they have one or if they know a partner that has one?
    Anders Bengtsson | Microsoft MVP - Operations Manager | http://www.contoso.se
    • Marked as answer by StuartR Thursday, August 27, 2009 7:19 PM
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 8:56 AM

All replies

• I found one for MOM 2005 at http://www.ms-systemcenter.com/MOM_Tools_Links_EN.htm that could be used as a template if you need to create one for ops mgr 2007. Have you contact EMC and asked if they have one or if they know a partner that has one?
    Anders Bengtsson | Microsoft MVP - Operations Manager | http://www.contoso.se
    • Marked as answer by StuartR Thursday, August 27, 2009 7:19 PM
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 8:56 AM
  • EMC has packages available for monitoring EMC PowerPath on the host side for MOM 2005 and SCOM 2007.  The agent can be configured to send SNMP traps to another SNMP server instead (if desired).  Should be free to existing PowerPath customers, check with EMC to confirm.

The document you want is "EMC PowerPath Management Pack for Microsoft Operations Manager", version 5.3, User Guide, P/N 300-007-082 Rev A01.  You would think this should be available in the EMC document library on Powerlink, but it's not.  Instead you need to download management packages from Powerlink, which include the documentation.  Here's the path in Powerlink:

Home > Support > Software Downloads and Licensing > Downloads P-R > PowerPath for Windows

Scroll down to the bottom and in the section "PowerPath for Windows Utilities" you need one of the following packages.  Both appear to contain the same documentation - the user guide listed above.

PowerPath Management Pack for Microsoft Operations Manager SCOM-2007

PowerPath Management Pack for Microsoft Operations Manager SCOM-2007 is supported starting with PowerPath 5.0 and later on all three Architectures, Net32, Net64(IA64), and X64.

zip

19.3 MB  

June 26, 2009

PowerPath Management Pack for Microsoft Operations Manager MOM-2005

PowerPath Management Pack for Microsoft Operations Manager MOM-2005 is supported starting with PowerPath 5.0 on both Net32 and Net64(IAx64).

zip

13.3 MB  

June 26, 2009

Good luck.  I'd welcome any comments from existing customers who are using one of these packages in production.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 4:25 AM
  • We'll, I just had a look at this one and just from what I see in the documentation i'm not instilled with a lot of confidence.  It's painfully obvious that whoever wrote the documentation for this thing has very little understanding of SCOM/MOM.  From what I can see this MP does'nt really do that much.  I appears to only look at a few eventlog entries and/or SNMP traps????  I'm not sure how or why tey are using SNMP, but it seems fishy to me..........  Just pulled the .mp into authoring console, doesn't look -really- bad that i can see  I did see a discovery at 3600 sec, not terribly impressed with that.  As the MP is sealed, can't really dig into the guts tho......  I still question what they're doing with SNMP tho.....
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 10:22 PM
  • I'm having some issues with this MP as well. We're currently working with EMC Support on it. They're suggesting that the MP we have is corrupt or otherwise altered, so we're looking in to that. I don't understand some of their coding as well. Does anyone else see two discoveries? One targeted at Windows Computer_Extended and the other at EMC Power Path? Plus, in your Monitoring View, EMC, EMC PowerPath Computers do you see all your systems in SCOM or just the ones with PowerPath set to True?
    Friday, March 12, 2010 3:15 PM
  •  

Did you ever figured out what is wrong with this MP.

• Does anyone else see two discoveries? One targeted at Windows Computer_Extended and the other at EMC Power Path?

I see two Discoveries but both targeted at Windows Computer

Plus, in your Monitoring View, EMC, EMC PowerPath Computers do you see all your systems in SCOM or just the ones with PowerPath set to True?

•  I see all systems in SCOM ...

Wierd stuff...

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 3:01 PM
  • I know this is an older thread, but has anyone looked at this managment pack, and actually deployed it into production? It really doesn't, as stated above, instill much confidence once you really look at it.

Friday, February 18, 2011 5:43 PM
  • What I've done is installed "EMC Storage Integration for Windows Suite V2.1" on a separate server. This is basically a GUI where you can allocate user permissions so people of group A can do this, people of group B can do that. So what you do is run a PowerShell script to register your SANs with the running software and the package includes SCOM management packs which you install into SCOM.

Once completed you can view and alert on anything SAN related.

You then need the EMC PowerPath management pack to monitor PP on hosts.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 3:56 AM