none
Disable DPM on specific days RRS feed

• Question

• How can you disable DPM from running any type of synchronization or backup on a specific day?  I've tried stopping all DPM related services, however they start back up automatically so that doesn't work.  The only method I've seen so far is to remove all of the jobs for the day, but I can't login once a week to do that.
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 2:48 PM

Answers

• The Sync is moving the data change from your protected server to the DPM server.

The sync depends on what kind of data that you are protecting. If you are protecting SQL, Exchange then it will truncate the logfiles and you will be able to recover the data on the sync time.

If you sync ordinary data then it will move the changes and it will make a backup each recovery point which will allow you to restore data at recovery point.

At the end the express full backup will take all the blocks that you took backup during the day, that includes sync and recovery points, and back them up so that you will be able to return to that day (and that depends on your retention rate) and restore the data according to your needs.

To have the sync everyday its better that disable it for specific day. Doing the sync more often will reduce the threshold on your server both on I/O disk, CPU and Memory wise. I can recommend to sync more often when it comes to protect large ammount of data that is changing alot all over the day. Like file servers, Huge SQL database and as well as Exchange servers.

Hope that explain all,

Laith

Friday, September 2, 2011 5:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In the DPM console you can go to Monitoring and click on the Jobs tab. From here you can use a filter to see scheduled jobs for any particular day (present and in the future) and cancel them.

From reading your post, you may already be doing this since you say you cannot login once a week to do that. Are you looking to stop running the jobs for the same day every week, if so just modify the protection group(s) to remove that day from the schedule.

Thanks,

Marc

Thursday, September 1, 2011 4:15 PM
  • Marc,

I've modified the protection groups removing that day, however it still continues to synchronize even if you remove a specific day.

Thursday, September 1, 2011 4:42 PM
  • Hi,

Yes that is correct, synchronizations are time interval based rather than calendar based unless you use the Syncrhonization option to sync just before a recovery point instead. Beyond that the only suggestion I have is using a filter in the Monitoring\Jobs section of the DPM console to find the jobs you don't want to run and cancel them, but as you know you would need to do this every week. Sorry!

Marc

Thursday, September 1, 2011 4:55 PM
  • Hi,

Yes that is correct, synchronizations are time interval based rather than calendar based unless you use the Syncrhonization option to sync just before a recovery point instead. Beyond that the only suggestion I have is using a filter in the Monitoring\Jobs section of the DPM console to find the jobs you don't want to run and cancel them, but as you know you would need to do this every week. Sorry!

Marc

What is the difference between synchronization every 15 minutes and just before a recovery point?  Is a recovery point an express full backup?
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 6:31 PM
  • The Sync is moving the data change from your protected server to the DPM server.

The sync depends on what kind of data that you are protecting. If you are protecting SQL, Exchange then it will truncate the logfiles and you will be able to recover the data on the sync time.

If you sync ordinary data then it will move the changes and it will make a backup each recovery point which will allow you to restore data at recovery point.

At the end the express full backup will take all the blocks that you took backup during the day, that includes sync and recovery points, and back them up so that you will be able to return to that day (and that depends on your retention rate) and restore the data according to your needs.

To have the sync everyday its better that disable it for specific day. Doing the sync more often will reduce the threshold on your server both on I/O disk, CPU and Memory wise. I can recommend to sync more often when it comes to protect large ammount of data that is changing alot all over the day. Like file servers, Huge SQL database and as well as Exchange servers.

Hope that explain all,

Laith

Friday, September 2, 2011 5:40 AM
  • Just a couple of links to articles with more details on synchronization and recovery points:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399406.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399156.aspx

Friday, September 2, 2011 12:00 PM