none
Disconnect One Duration Field From The Scheduled Start/End Field RRS feed

• Question

• Presently use MS Project 2010.  I need to discunnect one Duration cell from the Schuduled Start/End cells.  Not for all of them.  Just a sellect few.  How do I do this?
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 2:29 PM

Answers

• George,

It is possible that the "unlinked" information you were seeing was using spare duration fields such as Duration1 and so on.  But, as I noted, this is an all tasks move.  You hide the Duration field, insert the Duration1 field -- title it Duration and then enter anything in the field you'd like.  To take it further you can use Start1 and Finish1 for dates - and then draw the Gantt bars to use those fields. 

However -- at that point you are no longer using Project's ability to calculate as those fields (Duration1, Start1, Finish1) are not tied to one another in any way.

If you still have access to the unlinked project plan - hover your mouse over the fields (or double click) to see the actual fields used.

Julie

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 1:25 PM

All replies

• Have you tried using manually scheduled tasks?  You can create tasks without dates as needed.  Perhaps if you tell a bit more about why you need to "disconnect" we can be of more help.

What do you need to do?

Julie

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 2:55 PM
  • I have a Project Plan that was created by someone else.  107 lines.  On one line I have a task that will take 40 hours, but needs to be spread out over several months. Not just one week.  I need to disconnect Duration from Scheduled Start/End so I can change the Scheduled Start/End dates.
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 4:52 PM
  • Hello George,

You are confusing work and duration.  If you have resources assigned at 100% you will see 40 hours of work and 1 week duration.  If you wish to increase duration but leave the work at 40 hours, split the screen (View tab, check Details), set the task to Fixed Work, click OK.  Then change the duration (not the start and end dates) to the new duration.  Project will spread the 40 hours of work out over the new duration.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 5:14 PM
  • On the row and column I am working on, there is a duration of 40 hours, with the Scheduled Start date of 2/1/2012 and a driven Scheduled Finish date of 2/7/2012.  I need to spread the 40 hours out over several months.  Not just 1 caledar week.  I need to change the Scheduled Finish date to 8/1, change the Scheduled Start date to 7/1.  And keep the Duration at 40 hours.  The 40 hours would be spread over the month.  Not a week.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 6:37 PM
  • I understand - but you cannot have a duration of 40 hours and a start date of 7/1 and a finish date of 8/1.  You may have a task starting on 7/1 with a duration of 24 days finishing on 8/1 and 40 hours of work.

Julie

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 7:11 PM
  • I was hoping there was a way to over ride the Duration link with the Scheduled Start/Finished fields.  No way to convert all 3 fields to a manual input?
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 8:51 PM
  • George --

Pardon me for bumping into this thread, but I cannot help but be amused with the fact that Julie has told you the correct way to use the software, but you still reject her answer.  She is right.  And no, there is no way to convert all three fields to manual input.  So, please follow Julie�??s guidance and you will succeed!  :)  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 9:36 PM
  • It would be an all task conversion.  You can certainly use Start1 Finish1 and Duration1 and manually enter all task data -- but you cannot "disconnect" just one or two tasks.
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 9:51 PM
  • thanks, Dale :-)
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 9:51 PM
  • Dale,  I was not rejecting Julie's answer.  I have seen Duration field unlinked before on other MS projects.  Just have not seen it in some time.  I nolonger know the PM that did this. 

Thank you for your input and have a great day.

George

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 10:17 PM
  • The key here is that they are Duration and the start\finish will ALWAYS be connected. but you can have a Work field that is connected to duration via the Units field.

So you would have a duration of 4 months but a Work value of 40 hours. when the resource is assigned it would be a units value of 6%. If you have a calendar that specifies 40 hours a week then someone working on a 4month task that will require 40 hours of work that will amount to 6% of their full time calendar.

You might try these steps to get it setup properly.

1. Insert the Work field into your view
    2. Insert the Type field into your view
    3. Change the type to Fixed Duration
    4. Edit the duration to be xMonths
    5. Edit the Work to be 40 hours

that SHOULD give you what you are looking for. :-)

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP
    DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 10:43 PM
  • George,

It is possible that the "unlinked" information you were seeing was using spare duration fields such as Duration1 and so on.  But, as I noted, this is an all tasks move.  You hide the Duration field, insert the Duration1 field -- title it Duration and then enter anything in the field you'd like.  To take it further you can use Start1 and Finish1 for dates - and then draw the Gantt bars to use those fields. 

However -- at that point you are no longer using Project's ability to calculate as those fields (Duration1, Start1, Finish1) are not tied to one another in any way.

If you still have access to the unlinked project plan - hover your mouse over the fields (or double click) to see the actual fields used.

Julie

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 1:25 PM