Vista SP1 install issues RRS feed

• Question

• I have Vista Home Premium 32bit system.  I had to rebuild computer and now it has come down to the install of SP1.  It says it is successful after it is finished updating.  How ever I go to the computer and look at properties and it does not show that it is there.  I tried to do a Norton update and it says that I need SP1 for vista.  Of course there are other programs that I can not update because of this.  I tried to do the ISO update for SP1  it would not accept it.  How do I resolve this issues that I am having?

Please Help

Judy

Sunday, July 1, 2012 6:26 PM

Answers

All replies

• Marked as answer by gregjudy90 Thursday, July 5, 2012 7:30 AM
    Wednesday, July 4, 2012 3:54 AM
  • Ok, so I went through tried all the possibilities had no success.  Went to do the standalone install and it kept saying insufficient permission.  I the upen went and unistalled all anti-virus software and disabled firewall and came up with the same thing.

I then got thinking I am using Chrome through all of this I wonder what it would do if I used IE.  I googled the standalone install via IE and was able to finally install SP1.  I then was able to install a zillion other updates to which included SP2.

So not sure if Chrome was my issue from the get go on the standalone version or not but IE ended being the saving grace as I was so ready to give up.

I then re-installed my anti-virus software, and activated firewall once all updates were done.

Once I was successful on getting SP1 I then spent 5-6 hours installing updates upon updates.

thank you Carey

Judy

judy williams

Thursday, July 5, 2012 7:30 AM
  • I went through a lot trying to do same thing. The solution was ULTIMATELY to delete from WINDOWS Software Distribution file. That allowed VISTA Service Pack 1 to install without difficulty, then service pack 2, BUT then had to await the installation of some 160 security fixes (again).

It worked

Thomas Beretvas

• Proposed as answer by Tomber Friday, July 13, 2012 9:13 AM
    Friday, July 13, 2012 9:12 AM