none
backup server node for the Live server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We have only live server which our apps and sites is using it. 

We have data warehouse in which I have SSIS packages to get the needed data daily morning from live database.

We have daily full backup plan on live which is been running every morning so that if anything bad happens with Live db we can restore from the most recent backup.

The process is not seems to be reliable to me, I heard about mirroring, Always ON but wanted advise from you people which would work for us.

What we should do during live server disasters?

We have this situation happened couple of time this year and the business somehow manage of the minor data loss of 3 hours.

What we can do best so we would have one parallel server to Live database server and we can point all the connection while Live serve crash?

Help must be appreciated.

Dilip Patil..

Friday, July 5, 2019 7:04 AM

Answers

• Hi Shashank, 

For the business RPO and RTO will be in no time, simply we don't want anyone being disrupt. We are moving towards the highly transactional system and we have to plan for it well.

Sorry this does not seems correct if you are saying you cannot bear any downtime that is just not possible. Even MS gives 99.99 % uptime which means 4 minutes 19 sec downtime in a month so again please sit down with client and set the RPO and RTO which is meaningful.

You have Availability groups synchronous replicas which gives  zero data loss in most cases but again when failover happens SQL Server will be stopped on one node and started on other which may take few seconds to few minutes depending on what was going on in database when it failed over.

You also would have to HA at OS level assuming you are using virtualization what if complete hardware or storage fails. There are lot of variables and more the variable more will be the cost nothing is free

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

• Marked as answer by Dilip Patil Friday, July 5, 2019 8:01 AM
    Friday, July 5, 2019 7:49 AM

All replies

• Dilip there are lot of options specially Transaction log shipping, Availability groups, replication and mirroring( which is deprecated in SQL Server 2019/2017). Please also note no matter what technology you use there is no replacement of good and valid backup so "let backup happen" do not stop it.

I need to know more information about what kind of HA/DR you need. What is your requirement your RPO,RTO

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Friday, July 5, 2019 7:10 AM
  • Hi Shashank, 

For the business RPO and RTO will be in no time, simply we don't want anyone being disrupt. We are moving towards the highly transactional system and we have to plan for it well.

We have real time tasks the mobile app user operates. If the database failed and if we can not recover that from the backup then that will be lost and can not be re-entered.

Dilip Patil..

Friday, July 5, 2019 7:38 AM
  • Hi Shashank, 

Sorry this does not seems correct if you are saying you cannot bear any downtime that is just not possible. Even MS gives 99.99 % uptime which means 4 minutes 19 sec downtime in a month so again please sit down with client and set the RPO and RTO which is meaningful.

You have Availability groups synchronous replicas which gives  zero data loss in most cases but again when failover happens SQL Server will be stopped on one node and started on other which may take few seconds to few minutes depending on what was going on in database when it failed over.

You also would have to HA at OS level assuming you are using virtualization what if complete hardware or storage fails. There are lot of variables and more the variable more will be the cost nothing is free

Cheers,

Shashank

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

• Marked as answer by Dilip Patil Friday, July 5, 2019 8:01 AM
    Friday, July 5, 2019 7:49 AM

• Make Sense

Thanks You Sir!!

Dilip Patil..

Friday, July 5, 2019 8:01 AM