none
Xbox One Dev Kits Not Registering DNS A Records RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Does anyone know if it is normal for Xbox One dev kits to not register DNS A records?  They seem to be registering PTR records but no A records.  All of our computers and PS4 kits correctly register A and PTR records.  Our DHCP and DNS is on a Windows server 2008 R2 VM.

Thanks

Friday, May 4, 2018 8:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

To have a better understanding about this issue, please help me collect more information:

1)The Xbox configured static address or use DHCP?

2)Does the problematic Xbox A record locate the same zone with other normal clients?

3)Type the command “ipconfig /registerdns” on DNS server.

4)If the xbox uses DHCP, please check DHCP server configuration as below. Meanwhile, need to add the DHCP server’s computer account to the DnsUpdateProxy Group.  

Please try the following link to see if it could be of help to resolve the issue.

https://blogs.msmvps.com/acefekay/2009/08/20/dhcp-dynamic-dns-updates-scavenging-static-entries-amp-timestamps-and-the-dnsproxyupdate-group/#Section4ScavengingRefresh

Besides, I wonder of the Xbox client's IP configuration for additional settings as below, could you please post me a screenshot?

Hope above information can help you.

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any questions and concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards, 

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, May 7, 2018 4:35 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, May 9, 2018 9:12 AM
  • Hi,
    Could the above reply be of help? If yes, you may mark it as answer, if not, feel free to feed back
    Best Regards,
    Michael

Friday, May 11, 2018 6:42 PM
  • Hi Michael,

The Xbox is configured using DHCP, I have also tried setting a static IP config and there is no difference.

The Xbox record is in the same zone as thousands of other A records.

I did an ipconfig /registerdns on the DNS server but this made no difference.

Our DHCP config is the same as your picture and we have name protection turned on.  The DNS/DHCP server is also a Domain Controller so I do not want to add it to the DNSUpdateProxy group for security reasons.

I checked the advanced setting and there isin't really much there just the option to set the IP auto or manual, set the DNS auto or manual, change the MAC address and change the port.

The issue seems almost specific to the Xbox's everything else registers it's A record correctly including all Windows PC's, Macbooks, and PS4 kits.

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 3:22 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update.

We'll need to check the two things as below.

1. Is your DNS Active Directory integrated? Did you deploy AD domain in your environment?

If this, due to Xbox cannot be joined to a domain, but DNS server is configured to secure dynamic updates. The Xbox couldn't register its address to DNS. We'll try to switch the option "Nonsecure and secure" on the DNS server if it works.

2. We need to know the Xbox has the feature it can register this connection's addresses in DNS such as the PC's option.

Best regards,

Michael

Thursday, May 17, 2018 10:32 AM
  • Hey Michael,

The DNS zone is already setup for "nonsecure and secure" updates.

I am not sure what you are asking for with question number 2 as the Xbox does not have this option.

Thanks

Tyrell

Thursday, May 17, 2018 8:08 PM
  • I have looked at the DHCP logs and for the Xbox's I only see "DNS Update Successful" entries which I assume related to the PTR record being updated but not errors in regards to issues with creating the A record.

Thursday, May 17, 2018 8:12 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update.

Please try the configuration for the DHCP server as the following figure.

Please note:  the third step will affect all DHCP clients in your environment, please pay attention before the proceeding, best to backup the server firstly in case of any disaster unexpected. We'll try the previous two steps first.

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any question and concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Friday, May 18, 2018 3:25 AM
  • Hi,

Option 1 is currently already selected, Option was also currently selected and have turned it off.  DNS A record will still not update.

As for option 3 that is part of DHCP Policies which were implemented starting in Windows Server 2012 R2 and my server is a 2008 R2 so that option does not exist.

Are you able to confirm in any way that this is an issue with the Xbox dev kits and not the DHCP/DNS server? I am thinking that the Xbox kits do not honor the DNS Suffix of the DHCP scope options and therefore the DHCP server is not able to update the A record as it does not know which zone to place the record in.

Thanks

Tyrell

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 9:10 PM