Block Programs doesn't work RRS feed

• General discussion

• In Windows SteadyState I'm trying to block a user from using a program.  But when I click on the Block Programs tab the left hand box shows "Loading programs..." and no programs ever show.up.  The browse button and all the other ones are disabled.  So basically, I can't utilize this feature at all.

Is anyone else having this problem?  And is there anything I can do about it?
    Monday, June 25, 2007 9:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

please export the already configured user profile to another partition, uninstall steadystate and reinstall the tool to try again. Note that you should turn windows disk protection off first, if wdp is on, to uninstall steadystate.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 8:59 AM
  • I've got this same issue, tried your suggestion, still have the issue.  What's strange is, I have 2 identical computers I just reloaded with the OEM recovery Cd's, and one system is working great, the other has strange things like this happen.  So in this case, I exported the profile from the working computer.  Then , on the non-working computer, I turned off all disk protection, deleted the old user accound and made sure all user folders were removed, rebooted the pc, then imported the user account.  This all setup fine, except, I still can't see the blocked programs.  (Says, "Loading...")

This other computer, not working correctly, also does weird things like, when I install a program, it wont ask if I would like to install for ALL Users or Just myself.  On the working computer, it asks me, and I can load programs only for the admin.  It's like some "shared" component or registry setting exists on one and not the other.
    Tuesday, June 26, 2007 6:11 PM
  • I'm also having the same problem, even after the uninstall/reinstall. Worked on two other pc's no problem, so I'm curious what it is about this one that is causing this. Hopefully someone will send a reg key hack to fixes this.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 11:41 PM
  •  audioa4me wrote:
    In Windows SteadyState I'm trying to block a user from using a program.  But when I click on the Block Programs tab the left hand box shows "Loading programs..." and no programs ever show.up.  The browse button and all the other ones are disabled.  So basically, I can't utilize this feature at all.

Is anyone else having this problem?  And is there anything I can do about it?

Hi,

the issue can be related to the search process for executables (*.exe) and shortcut files (*.lnk) that point to executables in the two folders:C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs and C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop.

Considering the current situation, we can try the following action plan:

1. Clean boot to disable third party applications, such as Anti-Virus software, in case they lock some files in these folders. For how to perform a clean boot, please refer to:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353/en-us

2.Check permission settings on those two folders mentioned above. Make sure the administrators have default full control permission.

3.If possible, we can rebuild the two folders:

A.  rename the “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs” and “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop” folders

B. copy these folders from a working computer. In this way, we can isolate the corrupt folder issues.

4.If all previous steps did not work, please use FileMon to monitor the file access information.

A. download the tool from:http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/filemon.mspx

B. start filemon, reproduce the issue and save the log file. If possible, please send the filemon log to me for further analysis. My email address: v-samyu@online.microsoft.com (no online).

Thursday, June 28, 2007 3:23 AM