stsadm -o restore returning to prompt without action occurring RRS feed

• Question

• I have been attempting to perform a restore of a site collection.  At first, I was trying to restore the backup data to a new site collection name. Eventually, I was told to just give up on that and restore to the same name, but on a different machine. So I tried to do that. The restore ran for quite some time, but then generated an HRESULT 0x80040E14, which appears to indicate that the SQL Server under sharepoint was running out of space. So for two days we have tried to resolve this. Eventually, they rebooted the dev database machine to try and resolve issues occuring there.

Now when I run the restore command, the command finished without comment and without the restore having occurred.  I am getting no error messages, no completion messages, etc.

Can someone suggest any next steps to getting this site collection restored?

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, May 5, 2011 2:06 PM time pressure removed
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 1:50 PM

Answers

• Well, this has a not so happy ending in the long term, but in the short term I'm not so unhappy.

Each attempt to restore the site collection from the 80 gig data file was taking many many hours to complete. Each time, it failed. The sql server admins added space to tempdb as well as other parts of the database, and EVENTUALLY, stsadm generated an error message telling us that there wasn't enough space to do the recover and even MORE space was going to be needed.

At that point, the admins projected a need to add another 500 gig of space to the server for the recovery. That process was going to take a couple weeks of administrative approvals, etc. The user requesting the recovery then indicated that they would be able to recreate the project from scratch faster than that and so cancelled the request for recovery.  And when that happened, the space request was cancelled.

So the next time I need to do a recovery, I know what I am going to have to ask for, and how long I am going to have to wait.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Friday, May 13, 2011 3:07 AM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 11:11 AM

All replies

• Couple of things that can trace your actual problem. 

First, can you make sure you have followed the below steps. 

Make sure you are Administrator on both the source and destination machine. The best way is to add your self as SharePoint farm administrator. 

• Use stsadm -o backup to backup the entire site collection.  
    • Set up the new server farm. Make sure the service packs on both the environments are same. The MOSS versions defined in CA should be same. 
    • Create a new web application in the new server farm. Create a new site collection. 
    • Use stsadm -o restore on the new site collection. 

Did you check for errors in EventViewer and SharePoint logs? 

Second, Assuming you did the above and could not find the errors, try using this tool that is available for free in codeplex, http://spdeploymentwizard.codeplex.com/

Using the above mentioned tool, backup and do a restore. At the end of this operation, it will spit out a log file. That should help you in tracking down your actual problem?

Hope this helps. 

V
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 2:29 PM
  • As a preamble to my followup to your questions, when I talked to our server admins, they recommended rebooting the machine since the sql server under the sharepoint had been rebooted. After rebooting the sharepoint server, the restore process at least isn't terminating with the error before.

As for the other questions

• I do know that stsadm -o backup was used.
    • This is not a new server farm, but a "dev" instance that is used for restores of this type.
    • When I checked the EventViewer, I was getting an error saying that the .Net Runtime Engine was failing to start.

Unfortuantely, the backup cannot be done now - I have to use the backup taken last week before someone deleted the sharepoint site they now have requested be recovered.  So a new tool isn't in the cards for this case.

I find the whole situation of trying to restore a deleted sharepoint site to be terribly complex and cumbersome. It's been over a week now that I've been trying to do this. Certainly there are a lot of factors in play - I mis-interpreted instructions on the argumetns for the stsadm command, it took several days for the storage folks to recover the backup file, and there appears to have been problems on the sql server and now the sharepoint servers themselves.

Now I am waiting 6-8 hrs for the stsadm to complete.

It just doesn't seem to lend itself to quick turn-around.

Thank you so much for your helpful suggestions though!

Thursday, May 5, 2011 3:10 PM
  • Well, this has a not so happy ending in the long term, but in the short term I'm not so unhappy.

Each attempt to restore the site collection from the 80 gig data file was taking many many hours to complete. Each time, it failed. The sql server admins added space to tempdb as well as other parts of the database, and EVENTUALLY, stsadm generated an error message telling us that there wasn't enough space to do the recover and even MORE space was going to be needed.

At that point, the admins projected a need to add another 500 gig of space to the server for the recovery. That process was going to take a couple weeks of administrative approvals, etc. The user requesting the recovery then indicated that they would be able to recreate the project from scratch faster than that and so cancelled the request for recovery.  And when that happened, the space request was cancelled.

So the next time I need to do a recovery, I know what I am going to have to ask for, and how long I am going to have to wait.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Friday, May 13, 2011 3:07 AM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 11:11 AM