none
Problem with my wizard pages and the settings. Calling all MDT gurus.

Question

• Hi I need some help.

I am trying automate a LTI deployment of a standard Windows 7 wim file and the wizard pages keep coming up.

I have placed most of the required properties in my customsettings.ini file but for some reason it doesn't work.

What takes precedence

Task sequence setting?

Customsettgins.ini?

Unattended.xml file?  

There are so many duplication of the settings and places to watch out for them and I can't work out which ones to change.

The strange thing is that some of the pages are populated with the settings from my customsettings.ini file, but they are still displaying.

Can someone please help. What is the simplest customsetting.ini file to use works for testing.

Thanks

Friday, January 03, 2014 10:21 AM

Answers

All replies

• You can set a lot of things in the customsettings.ini so you should take a look to the documentation included. There is a topic called "Providing Properties for Skipped Deployment Wizard Pages" that will guide you through the process.

If you can see your settings that means that you didn't configured the proper skip line for that page.
    Take a look at my customsettings.ini for example:

[Default]
    OSInstall=Y
    ApplyGPOPacks=NO
    SkipCapture=YES
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    AdminPassword=4dm1np4ssw0rd
    SkipProductKey=YES
    SkipLocaleSelection=YES
    SkipTimeZone=YES
    SkipDomainMembership=YES
    SkipComputerBackup=YES
    SkipUserData=YES
    SkipBitLocker=YES
    UserID=user001
    UserDomain=SERVER001
    UserPassword=p4ssw0rd
    JoinDomain=contoso.com
    DomainAdmin=admincontoso
    DomainAdminPassword=passwordadmin
    _SMSTSOrgName=Deployment Server
    KeyboardLocale=340a:0000080a
    UserLocale=ES-CL
    UILanguage=ES-ES
    SystemLocale=ES-ES
    TimeZone=56
    TimeZoneName=Pacific SA Standard Time
    EventService=http://SERVER001:9800

Regards.

• Edited by Fr33m4n77 Friday, January 03, 2014 1:29 PM
    Friday, January 03, 2014 1:28 PM
  • I'm tying to do this through SCCM and I'm not having much luck.

I take it that you can perform a LTI using SCCM.

They only have the ZTI deployment scenario in the MDT 2013 documentation.

I'd rather automate everything if possible. But I'd also like to be able to walk before I can run.

And I'm not even at the walking stage yet.

Friday, January 03, 2014 10:45 PM
  • YOu mention the wizard pages keep coming up? Specifically which wizard pages? Are you talking about the MDT LTI Wizard Pages, or the Windows 7 OS installation Wizard Pages?

Easiest thing to do is to set SkipWizard=YES, this will skip the *entire* MDT Litetouch Deployment Wizard sequence.

Check the bdd.log file for any further information. If you still need help post the bdd.log file to a public share like SkyDrive and post the link here.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Monday, January 06, 2014 6:00 AM

I'd rather automate everything if possible. But I'd also like to be able to walk before I can run.

I'm not aware of a way to perform LTI Deployments via SCCM other than using UDI (User Driven Installation) wizard screens.

Also, I'm confused, you are mentioned you want to use LTI, but have the deployment completely automated with no screens?  That is a contradiction in itself.  The whole point of LTI is to present the technician with wizard screens, so they can adjust the behavior of the deployment, hence LIGHT TOUCH.  Can you explain this please. Thanks.

-BrianG (http://supportishere.com)

Monday, January 06, 2014 2:16 PM

I'm not aware of a way to perform LTI Deployments via SCCM other than using UDI (User Driven Installation) wizard screens.

Also, I'm confused, you are mentioned you want to use LTI, but have the deployment completely automated with no screens?  That is a contradiction in itself.  The whole point of LTI is to present the technician with wizard screens, so they can adjust the behavior of the deployment, hence LIGHT TOUCH.  Can you explain this please. Thanks.

-BrianG (http://supportishere.com)

Hi, I am confusing myself a bit here.

I've taken so much in over the past couple of days.

I started off trying to create a ZTI deployment but it kept failing. So I reverted to a LTI with a customsettings.ini file. Then I thought "great you can automate most of this LTI using a customsettings file"

I am now at the stage that I have automated the LTI to deploy the OS without any user interaction.

But when the machine restarts I immediately get the Windows OOBE.

The only way I can think of getting around this is by using a unattend.xml answer file.

I need to play about with this some more and try out another ZTI deployment.

Monday, January 06, 2014 5:56 PM
  • YOu mention the wizard pages keep coming up? Specifically which wizard pages? Are you talking about the MDT LTI Wizard Pages, or the Windows 7 OS installation Wizard Pages?

Easiest thing to do is to set SkipWizard=YES, this will skip the *entire* MDT Litetouch Deployment Wizard sequence.

Check the bdd.log file for any further information. If you still need help post the bdd.log file to a public share like SkyDrive and post the link here.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Hi Keith, I have go to the stage where I think I have automated the LTI wizard pages. But once the machine restarts into Windows I get the OOBE wizard pages.

The only way that I can think of bypassing that is using an sysprep unattend.xml answer file.

Thanks

Monday, January 06, 2014 6:00 PM
  • So you are getting OOBE pages.
    Just to make sure, are you deploying a syspreped custom image or Windows 7 source files from a DVD?

Regards
    Monday, January 06, 2014 6:25 PM
  • All done.

This is the mix.

1. I used a SCCM Deployment.  
    2. Created a MDT Client TS (gathering settings from customsettings.ini and using unattended.xml to further configure the O/S).
    3. Used a SCCM MDT Toolkit Package.
    4. Used a SCCM MDT Settings Package (customsettings.ini and unattend.xml file).
    5. Used a SCCM Client Package. 

The machine is now built, configured and ready to capture at a later stage.

It's fully automated but still requires some work.

What I need to do now is document everything so far.

Thanks everyone.

• Edited by midi25 Tuesday, January 07, 2014 1:05 PM
    Monday, January 06, 2014 11:22 PM