none
Ping Issue on Window 7 Pro 64bit - can ping by IP but not by hostname RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I hope someone have a solution on this.  I cannot ping window Server 2012 Domain Controller with DHCP services.  We are using IPv4 but when I try to ping from command prompt, I get general failer (see below)

Pinging server.domain [2002:c00a:102::c00a:102] with 32 bytes of data:
    General failure.
    General failure.
    General failure.
    General failure.

I noticed that the IP it is using is IPv6 which I am not using IPv6.  I can ping the 2012 server by IP address but not by hostname of the server.

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 9:22 PM

Answers

• Hello Steve Bui,

Thank you for posting in this forum.

What if you run the "ping hostname -4" command?

Also, if you uncheck IPv6 in the NIC properties and then run "ping hostname", what would be the result?

Best Regards,

Leon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 4, 2019 1:54 AM

All replies

• Hello Steve Bui,

Also, if you uncheck IPv6 in the NIC properties and then run "ping hostname", what would be the result?

Best Regards,

Leon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 4, 2019 1:54 AM
  • Hello HK.Leon,

I tried unchecking IPv6 on the host NIC, still same result.  I just tried your ping method and it did get a response.  Thank you so very much for your reply.  At least I know that pinging IPv4 is working and that all that matters.  Many thanks.

Friday, July 5, 2019 3:37 PM
  • You are welcome, Steve Bui.

I am pleased to know that the information is helpful to you.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

And please don't forget to mark the useful response as answer.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

Leon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 1:45 AM
  • Very useful.  This got my ping issue resolved.

Hello Steve Bui,

Best Regards,

Leon

Monday, July 15, 2019 3:49 PM
  • Thank you for your update, Steve Bui.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Leon

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 7:29 AM