Laptop icons RRS feed

• Question

• I have no icons on the desktop. I do have icons in the taskbar. I am already disappointed. I should have listened to the Mac commercial but that would require me spending thousands more on software replacement. The laptop is an ASUS G-51. Windows 7 was installed over Vista. I have been able to restore the icons in the past but I have not been able to restore them even with a reboot. I never have had this issue in the past with any Windows product. I have not been able to find a specific link or resource that specifically addresses this issue.
    Friday, November 20, 2009 8:11 PM

Answers

• Rightclick Desktop -> View -> Show Desktop icons

--
    Karel Vos [MVP - Windows Desktop Experience]
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, November 27, 2009 1:46 AM
    Friday, November 20, 2009 8:20 PM
  • If the issue persists after trying karelVos's suggestion, please perform the steps below:

1.     Right click on the Desktop -> Personalization

2.     Click "Change desktop icons" on the left pane.

3.     Select the desktop icons you would like to show.

4.     Click Apply and then click OK.

If the issue still exists, please check if the issue occurs in a new user account. Also, you can test the issue in Clean Boot to see if certain third party startup item is causing this issue. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Regards,

Linda

Monday, November 23, 2009 5:54 AM

All replies

• Rightclick Desktop -> View -> Show Desktop icons

--
    Karel Vos [MVP - Windows Desktop Experience]
    Friday, November 20, 2009 8:20 PM
  • If the issue persists after trying karelVos's suggestion, please perform the steps below:

1.     Right click on the Desktop -> Personalization

2.     Click "Change desktop icons" on the left pane.

3.     Select the desktop icons you would like to show.

4.     Click Apply and then click OK.

If the issue still exists, please check if the issue occurs in a new user account. Also, you can test the issue in Clean Boot to see if certain third party startup item is causing this issue. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Regards,

Linda

Monday, November 23, 2009 5:54 AM